Why become a member? ×

Best courier from the states

T-Bay

I have found a nice little gem I am interested in importing from the states. The seller has priced up shipping with USPS and it’s £125. Not a deal breaker if it has to be but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with other carriers who may be less expensive. The neck will come off and it will be well boxed. I guess approx 1m x 60cm x 30cm max and probably between 10-15kg but could creep over depending on packing.

I imported Binky, my 10 string bass, from the states. The shipping was around $350 via FedEx fully insured. 

A few years later I bought a 9 string Conklin from Jean Baudin and it was actually cheaper for me to fly to San Francisco with an empty case as my luggage and bring it back to the UK than it was to suffer postage and import taxes! 

So £125 seems pretty darn reasonable at todays rates. 

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I imported Binky, my 10 string bass, from the states. The shipping was around $350 via FedEx fully insured. 

A few years later I bought a 9 string Conklin from Jean Baudin and it was actually cheaper for me to fly to San Francisco with an empty case as my luggage and bring it back to the UK than it was to suffer postage and import taxes! 

So £125 seems pretty darn reasonable at todays rates. 

Yep, £125 is about as low as you'll get for a decent service from the US

• 1 month later...

Bit late to this particular party but I got a quote to send a neck through (hence "oversized") bass to USA by UPS and it came in at just under £100.  I don't think that includes insurance but last time I looked into it couriers sell you insurance which actually excludes musical instruments in the fine print.