Why become a member? ×

Genz-benz advice

Bloopdad1

Hi all

Hoping for some advice. I've a Genz-benz Shuttle Max 9.2 that I've gigged about 4 times a week for the last 8yrs.

Recently when turning it on its silent for about 10 (heart stopping) seconds then it quickly ramps up to normal operation. 

I'm thinking worn out capacitors? Whatcha think? 

If I keep using it like this will it damage it or simply just get worse? 

(Its my favourite ever amp that has unbelievable headroom, it does super clean for double bass, warm full and wet for my '70's P bass with flats, mega punchy for my 5st jazz and makes my EUB growl for ever! - I've played lots of other amps and for me it's just superb). 

Hoping for advice. 

Cheers 

I can pretty much guarantee that it has nothing whatsoever to do with capacitors (regardless of all the bad advice on the internet). In 12 years, I have never seen a bad cap on a ShuttleMax and I handle all the factory service/support for North America.

By any chance do you have the amp set for the tube channel only, and you are waiting for the tube to warm up? That's about  the right time for this to happen.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Agedhorse. 

I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. I have been using the tube preamp section a lot lately, I just couldn't remember such a delay after switch-on...?

Best amp I've ever owned. So good in fact that I've not looked at an alternative these past years. Hopefully it'll keep going for another 9yrs!

• Like 1