Why become a member? ×

Supply vs. Demand

Quilly

Just browsing around here it seems a lot of people are trying to unload surplus gear with this covid-19 situation, some for much smaller money than I've ever seen. and that's just the musicians. The whole industry must be on the verge of collapse. I wonder will a lot of stores and even websites go to the wall 😗   

I picked up my dream head for £800 less than brand new and the serial number showed it was 2 months old (& immaculate) when I bought it. Obviously the downsize is I have an Orange AD200B in the kitchen that isn't getting a huge amount of usage but on the plus side it does a first socially distanced outing this weekend :sun_bespectacled:

18 hours ago, Quilly said:

The whole industry must be on the verge of collapse. 

I don't think it's anywhere collapse, there's just an ongoing shift towards digital, and as is the case with so many other sectors such as business and education, COVID has simply accelerated that shift. There will always be a market for new music, I think what we're seeing at present is an increased blurring of the old and traditional line between live music and recorded music, it's a blurring enabled by digital, and as the result the gear that musicians need to do their jobs is having to change. But the core tools - the musical instruments and the expertise required to play them - are still there, so I see the present as far less worrying than I did the mid-80s when we genuinely thought that synths were going to not only replace all instruments but eventually all performers :)

Edited by Beedster

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

The trend for small prices for big boxes started well before COVID

True - I had a Hartke 810 up for sale for peanuts for ages way before the virus came along. Ended up building 210s with the speakers, and giving the empty cabinet away to a guy who said he was going to try and cut it up to build a cajon!

12 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

True - I had a Hartke 810 up for sale for peanuts for ages way before the virus came along. Ended up building 210s with the speakers, and giving the empty cabinet away to a guy who said he was going to try and cut it up to build a cajon!

As if there weren't enough cajons in the World already :)