Why become a member? ×

Hello and errr, some advice please...

Megwegpeg

Hello everyone,

Great forum you all have here.

Having bought a guitar as something to do while furloughed and then being given a POD X3 by a friend who couldn't work out how to use it wasn't long before I had downloaded a free DAW and begun messing around with recording, more to do with not having to buy a looper than producing anything anyone would want to hear. A few months later and I'm thinking it would be fun to and some real bass rather than using a keyboard. 

What I would like to know is if I ultimately wanted to play 5 string would I be better off starting on one or beginning with 4 string and learning that first. My head says that whilst initially the 5 might be trickier, in the long run it might be easier to have never played anything else but I'm just guessing.

As a bit of added info I've got small hands and  currently have my eyes on a Sire M7v2 and an Ibanez SR or anything else you can recommend circa £500. My heart says Jazz but the last time I went shopping for a Squier I came home with an American Ultra Tele and a lot of explaining to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

I’d go for the sire

youre right, I think, about starting with a five For feel but beware that lots of tablature is written for a four and you’ll need to ignore the fifth string sometimes When watching performances or reading tablature 

• Like 4

Welcome aboard!

If you can, I would play a few in shops and see what you think. There's a lot of variation in basses: neck thickness, width, length, shape, and they all affect how one person feels about the instrument.  I play a 35" four string, so in theory a 35" five string should feel comfortable,  but I have yet to find one I want to spend money on. A 34" I tried in PMT was OK, but sounded mediocre. A friend's 37" Dingwall multiscale was surprisingly easy play, but waaaaaaay too expensive. 

Sire and Ibanez are definitely good starting points though 👍. And if you can't make up your mind or don't get on with them, either are easy to sell on. A couple on the for sale forum here I think.

And despite what @Teebs says, you find a lot of 5 string players in church worship bands 😉

• Like 1

Hi there MWP, certainly no harm in starting on a 5 - many discussions here on the benefits of being able to extend the scale patterns by one more string, meaning you can 'park' your fretting hand in one position and minimise shifts up and down the neck. Pay attention to muting as you have one more string to keep quiet when it's not being played though! I found this video useful:

...albeit I was coming from 4 string. The Sire sounds a great choice, or keep an eye on the Basschat markerplace. Good luck!

On 29/10/2020 at 06:29, Geek99 said:

youre right, I think, about starting with a five For feel but beware that lots of tablature is written for a four and you’ll need to ignore the fifth string sometimes When watching performances or reading tablature 

+1 for this. Also, if you rely on tabs, you may find yourself playing the five like a four, using the B string as a thumb rest. The big advantage of the five is that you get two full octaves over five frets everywhere on the fretboard, and to make best use of that and minimise shifting, you often have to use different fingering to that indicated in the tab. If you can read the dots, you'll have a massive advantage.

Edited by lozkerr
five and four wrong way round, duh.
  • Like 1

Welcome! 

Usually the best answer when having to decide between one bass or another is "get both"!

Now being serious, the main difference to me between five or six strings and four string basses is in the fretting hand technique. In a five string bass you will play vertically, on a four you will play more horizontally moving/shifting positions.  Once you learn (in case you don't already) the fretboard, intervals and scales,  going from one to the other will not be an issue.  I personally favour the four string bass. However I do know my way around a six stringer too. 

Small hands... Ibanez SR series makes some very thin necks in both four and five strings that you will find very comfortable, and with your budget i would check the marketplace here and get a good deal on one a level above of what you could get new. 

A.

14 hours ago, Teebs said:

Hiya MWP   :crigon_04:

While it pains me to say it (5 & 6 strings being the work of the devil 👿 and deviance from the true path etc... ), I agree with Geek99.

There’s two ways to read that ....I hope you didn’t mean that it pains you to say that you agree with me 

7 hours ago, achavarin said:

Welcome! 

Usually the best answer when having to decide between one bass or another is "get both"!

Now being serious, the main difference to me between five or six strings and four string basses is in the fretting hand technique. In a five string bass you will play vertically, on a four you will play more horizontally moving/shifting positions.  Once you learn (in case you don't already) the fretboard, intervals and scales,  going from one to the other will not be an issue.  I personally favour the four string bass. However I do know my way around a six stringer too. 

Small hands... Ibanez SR series makes some very thin necks in both four and five strings that you will find very comfortable, and with your budget i would check the marketplace here and get a good deal on one a level above of what you could get new. 

A.

Beware also that ibanez have an X suffix (SRX) that means extended width - I found this out the hard way 

Thank you all for the feedback. It was really helpful.

In the end I had to weigh up what was more important to me. Some extra versatility with the 5 string or get the 4 and enjoy looking down on lesser mortals. So, 4 it is!! 

In all seriousness in was something in the video that @Kevsy71 suggested that tipped they scales. I had been entirely focussed on the fretting hand whereas when I thought about the picking hand and the extra space that the 4 could have seemed like it might be a better way to start. That coupled with the majority of online lessons (especially beginner) being centred around 4 it just made sense to me.

So here it is..... my Ibanez SR750. Really happy with it and with a little help from Scotts Bass Lessons I've been able to play a basic line without having the unfretted strings droning away in the background. Such a different playing style to guitar but I'm already addicted.

@achavarin I think the advice to get both should be taken VERY seriously.

Thanks again for some great tips and advice.

IMG_20201029_214816.jpg

Edited by Megwegpeg
Additional info
  • Like 6

Nice ibanez, but then I would say that. Other than the missing string of course - just kidding, I do have a 4 string Ibanez that looks similar to that (my SR1000), and I keep it because it was my first proper bass when I started again, but I just don't really play 4s.

Welcome to the bass world anyway!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Megwegpeg said:

I'm no stranger to GAS. I do it with everything. The anticipation, the hunt, the joy, the guilt, more joy, repeat.

Four months ago I'd never picked up a musical instrument. My spare room is now starting to look like Abbey Road.

You'll need more than a spare room by the time these members finish with you.............

DSC_0011.JPG

• Like 2