Why become a member? ×

EBS HD350/TD650

ern500evo

10 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

No personal experience directly with the line, but the concept and listenings I have done, I would squarely go for the Fafner II as my choice of amp out of the range, it looks an absolute beast

The Fafner does indeed look like a beast of an amp. 

• Like 1

I've been using a HD350 head for a number of years now and have been really pleased with it. They are well made and deliver the clean glassy sound my ears like. I use mine in a function band setting so covering various genres which it handles well.  I also like the simplicity of using it with a straight forward EQ section that doesn't require much faffing about with. 

I've used an assortment of other heads in the past including Ashdown, but found myself changing them after several months. At the end of the day sound is all subjective, trying out different one's (if you can) is probably the best way forward in finding a sound you're happy with. Good luck in your search.

1 hour ago, Orbs said:

I've been using a HD350 head for a number of years now and have been really pleased with it. They are well made and deliver the clean glassy sound my ears like. I use mine in a function band setting so covering various genres which it handles well.  I also like the simplicity of using it with a straight forward EQ section that doesn't require much faffing about with. 

I've used an assortment of other heads in the past including Ashdown, but found myself changing them after several months. At the end of the day sound is all subjective, trying out different one's (if you can) is probably the best way forward in finding a sound you're happy with. Good luck in your search.

Thanks man. I’ve never played through one, but whenever I’ve seen bands and the bass player is using a EBS head, it always seems to just sound ‘right’. They had that reputation for being aimed at slap players, but I’ve seen bands using HD350’s and TD650’s in all kinds of genres. There was a local covers band doing the clubs and bars  and their bassist had a TD650 and it sounded monstrous doing rock stuff. I know the latest Ashdown ABM gets a lot of love and is seen as a big step up from the previous ABM’s, so being offered the chance to borrow one to A/B with some other amps is a godsend. Looking forward to having a play about with some various options. I’ve seen a couple of EBS Fafners available on the used market too, that’s pretty tempting. 

I guess you could always buy a S/H EBS amp and try it out at rehearsals etc (sadly gigs seem off the menu for a while), and if you're not happy with it sell it. The TD 650's sound the same as the HD350's but have a stand by switch which is always handy. 

Ironically I first heard someone using an EBS amp at a gig which made me want to get one too! 🙂

1 hour ago, Orbs said:

I guess you could always buy a S/H EBS amp and try it out at rehearsals etc (sadly gigs seem off the menu for a while), and if you're not happy with it sell it. The TD 650's sound the same as the HD350's but have a stand by switch which is always handy. 

Ironically I first heard someone using an EBS amp at a gig which made me want to get one too! 🙂

I think that’s the plan, pick one up and then take the opportunity to A/B it against some other amps at rehearsal 

I've an EBS TD650 which I'll shortly be moving on with the prospect of no gigs.  I've also had HD350's in the past.  I've A/B'ed them and to my ears there are clear differences.  The TD650 sounds more open and musical to me - also the drive channel options on the TD650 are sound more organise to me too.

THE TD650 can more or less cover everything the HD350 can.  However, the HD350 cant cover much of the same ground as the TD650.

1 hour ago, bagsieblue said:

I've an EBS TD650 which I'll shortly be moving on with the prospect of no gigs.  I've also had HD350's in the past.  I've A/B'ed them and to my ears there are clear differences.  The TD650 sounds more open and musical to me - also the drive channel options on the TD650 are sound more organise to me too.

THE TD650 can more or less cover everything the HD350 can.  However, the HD350 cant cover much of the same ground as the TD650.

That’s very interesting, a lot of what I’ve read implies that unless you’re running a 2ohm cab, the TD650 isn’t much different to the HD. The first EBS I ever heard live was a TD650, it sounded awesome. There’s a used one on Bass Direct website at the moment 

3 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

That’s very interesting, a lot of what I’ve read implies that unless you’re running a 2ohm cab, the TD650 isn’t much different to the HD. The first EBS I ever heard live was a TD650, it sounded awesome. There’s a used one on Bass Direct website at the moment 

I didnt run at 2 ohms but was using through great cabs - Barefaced and EAD 212 cabs.

If you are not using any/much drive then, yes maybe I could concede, they are similarish in that way  - the drive on the TD650 is in a completely different league though -  to my ears and in my view