Why become a member? ×

How much of the Ampeg sound is the amp and how much the cab?

la bam

Agree with most of the comments made so far. My old SVT rig is still the benchmark for me regarding the bass sound I love, with my old Precision it was wonderful. Mid and bottom end thump was a joy, and obviously I’m not a fan of hi-fi / toppy sounding set ups. Also agree with what’s been said about the importance of head vs cab - having tried them both with other pairings they just work best together. I only wish I could have kept mine but finances and transport didn’t allow it. 😔

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I have not played through any Ampeg kit but I do object to you lumping HiFi (by which I suppose you mean FRFR) and toppy cabs. A well designed full range cab is not toppy but a cab with a cheap tweeter of whatever type, incorrectly crossed over, is appalling.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I used an old SVT head and cab - the head was around '74 and the cab was earlier still - for many years and can tell you for sure that the cab is a HUGE part of that sound.

Once, when the head was in for repair (again), I drove the cab with the amp section from an ancient 150w Peavey Renown tranny  guitar combo and it still sounded like an SVT. I was almost disappointed, to be honest...

Those 4-box sealed 8x10's are KILLER cabs.

I agree with almost all of what’s been said before; Ampeg cabs have a massive influence in the sound system of Ampeg rigs. I’ve fogged festivals where the back line was pretty much always an Ampeg 8x10”, and no matter what head it’s been (Ampeg, Hartke, Ashdown etc...) it’s always just sounded like an 8x10”!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a lovely 410hlf.

My svt7 pro just never impressed my through my Ashdown cab. (Well, it was good, but not Ampeg like). It sounded strong and punchy, but not warm and Ampeg like.

So I tried it with a 410hlf - THATS the sound!!

I knew it had to be a lot to do with the cab! The amp now sounds warm, punchy and has that slight Ampeg break up. It's not a singular note sound, more a constant link of notes, where theres no space in between notes, but still sounds clear.

With the precision it just sounds classic.

Well happy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I picked up a lovely 410hlf.

My svt7 pro just never impressed my through my Ashdown cab. (Well, it was good, but not Ampeg like). It sounded strong and punchy, but not warm and Ampeg like.

So I tried it with a 410hlf - THATS the sound!!

I knew it had to be a lot to do with the cab! The amp now sounds warm, punchy and has that slight Ampeg break up. It's not a singular note sound, more a constant link of notes, where theres no space in between notes, but still sounds clear.

With the precision it just sounds classic.

Well happy!

Nice man, I see you took down the head from sale. I’m still loving the CTM300 but using the Helix Ampeg SVT and 8x10 can patch, it’s excellent. I did rehearse last weekend using an SVT-CL. What a sweet sound 😍

I keep telling myself I don’t ‘need’ an SVT though 🤔🤤

1 hour ago, walshy said:

Nice man, I see you took down the head from sale. I’m still loving the CTM300 but using the Helix Ampeg SVT and 8x10 can patch, it’s excellent. I did rehearse last weekend using an SVT-CL. What a sweet sound 😍

I keep telling myself I don’t ‘need’ an SVT though 🤔🤤

Nice one Walshy!

Yeh, I needed the cash so it was a case of what sold first, my hartke rig or the svt7. Luckily the hartke rig did, although i really was impressed with that.

The svt7 is a completely different amp with the SVT cab. Honestly, completely different.

I use to use jon Willis dr tonelab svt studio patch and an 8x10 sim which I slightly modified (just eq) and it really did sound great. The only thing I couldnt get right on the helix was the soft pillowy feel of the cab, but it sat in the mix very well.

That's always been the problem with Ampeg - no one can accurately describe the sound, so it's impossible to model 100% - it's like a soft pillowy, growly punch, with loads of bottom end. Oh, and loads of top end. Oh, and loads of mids..... and its punchy, but not that punchy. And its rich, but not that rich. Slightly over driven but clean ....

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Nice one Walshy!

Yeh, I needed the cash so it was a case of what sold first, my hartke rig or the svt7. Luckily the hartke rig did, although i really was impressed with that.

The svt7 is a completely different amp with the SVT cab. Honestly, completely different.

I use to use jon Willis dr tonelab svt studio patch and an 8x10 sim which I slightly modified (just eq) and it really did sound great. The only thing I couldnt get right on the helix was the soft pillowy feel of the cab, but it sat in the mix very well.

Yeah I’ve done similar, tweaked that patch and another I got from a mate. It does sit lovely in the band mix too, but I like having the amp giving it the beans in a kinda no frills way. Glad you got sorted out though mate 🤘

• Like 1

Just now, walshy said:

Yeah I’ve done similar, tweaked that patch and another I got from a mate. It does sit lovely in the band mix too, but I like having the amp giving it the beans in a kinda no frills way. Glad you got sorted out though mate 🤘

I still love my Ashdown gear, and have the evo iv rc and 4x10 evo iv 410 cab, but we'll see what suits the new band best.

• Like 1

This thread makes me want to lug my SVT back out from under the stairs where it's been sulking for ages. Think I used it once last year due to the weight and a free loan of a very light Markbass combo and PA setup.

I do remember what others have said, paired with my 410 HLF I would invariably have to turn the bass right back and scoop the low mids up quite a bit as it was just so bass heavy that the rest of the band would kick off ( pot, kettle, black  - guitarist 100W Marshall and 412). But if could get the mix just right it sounded glorious. That was usually difficult due to time constraints (setting up the PA etc). If we get any gigging in this year I'm deffo going to give it another chance :)

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 20:16, Lozz196 said:

Dunno what model/version it was but I used one 810 at a gig and it was sooooo bassy, just a wamph of low end. Had to back lows off virtually all the way, and had to boost hi mids & highs virtually all the way. Only Ampeg cab I’ve ever used that sounded like that,

And rather bizarrely at our current rehearsal rooms - when we’re allowed to rehearse of course - there’s one like it there. The difference in the eq I need on my amp for it is pretty shocking - in the other rooms I just set up as would be expected but this specific one, well again it’s cut lows and boost highs pretty much all the way. Rotten cab, we’ll avoid that room once we can go back.

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

And rather bizarrely at our current rehearsal rooms - when we’re allowed to rehearse of course - there’s one like it there. The difference in the eq I need on my amp for it is pretty shocking - in the other rooms I just set up as would be expected but this specific one, well again it’s cut lows and boost highs pretty much all the way. Rotten cab, we’ll avoid that room once we can go back.

There was a period of a few years post 2000 (can’t remember the exact year) onwards where Ampeg still manufactured in America but used chipboard for the cabinet. Any from that era are generally disliked and thought of as dark sounding. After they went overseas, they went back to plywood and the issue went away.

Edited by Bankai

23 minutes ago, Bankai said:

There was a period of a few years post 2000 (can’t remember the exact year) onwards where Ampeg still manufactured in America but used chipboard for the cabinet. Any from that era are generally disliked and thought of as dark sounding. After they went overseas, they went back to plywood and the issue went away.

I had heard this, and I've encountered one or two that would fit the theory, though I wonder if there was a change in driver spec at the same time. I'm not sure a change from plywood to particle board alone would give that large a change in the voicing of the cab.

Finally got chance to give the svt7 and 410hlf a blast in a proper setting and it was absolutely glorious.

Rich, tasty and best of all it just sat lovely in every song. No harsh eqing, no volume boosts needed. Just knew where to be.

Also, surprisingly I used the ultra lo, which I didnt think I would have to, and it really added to the sound.

This is the same set up where the svt sounded pretty harsh and sterile using an ashdown cab, but really sounds different with the svt cab.

Very happy!

• Like 1