Why become a member? ×

NBD : Fender Classic 50's P-Bass

40hz

Having started out on a 1985 E-Series Squier P-Bass back in 2003 I thought it was about time to play a P-Bass again after a near 20 year hiatus from owning one. Prompted by my starting up of a Motown band, I put a wanted ad out on these hallowed pages which turned up this beauty, a 2017 Mexican 50's Classic Series in Fiesta Red.

Not much that can be said that hasn't already about P-Basses but some interesting observations considering I've very much been a 'modern' bass type player all these years, purposefully shunning P's just because they are so ubiquitous.

The sheer authority and presence of the tone just doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face, it's the first time I've grinned from ear to ear playing a bass in quite some time. In comparison to every other bass I've owned, it's so much more 'there' all the way up the neck and on each string. The strength and clarity of the midrange just makes it absolutely sing. The tone control also has the widest range of usable differences I think I've ever used on a bass.

The neck, allegedly has a reputation as a baseball bat but I find it supremely comfortable to play and have no issues with getting around it quickly

Fit and finish are superb. I know Mexico have been on the up for many years,, but this is great even by the improved standards. The body is super resonant and you can feel it purring away while you play!

Colour me very, very impressed.

IMG_20201028_131349698.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 25

Beautiful!

I've got an itch for something similar... I've got one Jazz to many after a stolen one was recovered, and no Precisions. I'd love to trade it for something like this.

Have fun, there's something about the simplicity of a P that just can't be beaten. 

George

• Like 1

I know what you mean @40hz 
I too was "off" P basses for quite some time, having owned a couple. I too had my head turned by newer designs and more contemporary sounds.
And then I went back to playing a P bass (due to the needs of one of the band projects I was involved with) and my eyes and ears were opened once again

Perhaps it's all the more obvious if you haven't owned or played a P bass for a while?
There are times when I've sound checked just before a gig, and thought my P bass sounded good. Then, when the band start playing... I can hear it, sitting perfectly in the mix
Cutting through, but not being overly loud - sounding just like a P bass should :)

Nice bass too btw. I've had a couple of Roadworn Fenders, which are Mex made, and they are superbly built basses IMO
I particularly like the Fiesta Red MIM Classic 50's P. I had a Sunburst Roadworn 50's P, it was great - but I always wished it was Fiesta Red 

Enjoy :) 

• Like 3

Very nice, love the gold scratch plate. 

There is something about a P and everyone should own one. I was quite anti them for a while and had a couple that I never really gelled with, thought they were a boring choice. Then I picked one up for a blues band, fell in love with it and saw what I was missing!!

Have fun with it 😃

• Like 3

Thanks for the lovely comments guys!

Fiesta Red is probably my all time favourite colour for a bass, it never seems to photograph right though and it wasn't until I physically saw it in person (last year, ironically on a roadworn P) that I understood what a great colour it is, having the nicest orangey, pinkish red, warmth to its hue.

Does this particular range have a period correct pickup? I'm amazed by its ability to have an inherent 'thickness' to the sound that never descends into mud.

I'm utterly converted and should have done this a lot sooner! All from a humble P.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ped said:

I can’t believe we’re this many posts in and nobody has mentioned flatwounds yet! Worth a try - especially if the P is one bass in a collection. It’s fun experimenting! 

Already been eyeing up some Chromes!!😅

• Haha 1

On 28/10/2020 at 23:18, ped said:

I can’t believe we’re this many posts in and nobody has mentioned flatwounds yet! Worth a try - especially if the P is one bass in a collection. It’s fun experimenting! 

We were all obviously waiting for you @ped;)

It took me a while, but I eventually shifted over to flats. I'd argue that they make a Jazz sound better too :) There's a problem here though.... As soon as you've converted / seen the light etc - you'll "need" a P with flats, and another with rounds. And then perhaps a Jazz with flats, and another with rounds ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

😁

On 28/10/2020 at 23:18, ped said:

apart from Grav  of course  😁

On 28/10/2020 at 13:01, Grav said:

Very nice! I have the Honey colour one ( I wanted the Fiesta red but they were all gone at the time). I put some Pyramid flats on and I could not be happier with the playability and tone 

Edited by nikon F
  • Haha 1

On 31/10/2020 at 12:08, Marc S said:

We were all obviously waiting for you @ped;)

It took me a while, but I eventually shifted over to flats. I'd argue that they make a Jazz sound better too :) There's a problem here though.... As soon as you've converted / seen the light etc - you'll "need" a P with flats, and another with rounds. And then perhaps a Jazz with flats, and another with rounds ;)

Have to say I agree, flats do make a Jazz sound pretty good, I’d even say I prefer flats on a Jazz than on a Precision.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2020 at 22:57, 40hz said:

Does this particular range have a period correct pickup? I'm amazed by its ability to have an inherent 'thickness' to the sound that never descends into mud.

It's the old version of the American Standard Pickup, just called American Standard Pickup.  I think they changed the Am Std P Bass pickups to the 62 version but kept the 'Am Std' pickup for the special run Mex basses (Classic 50, Roadworn, etc).

I have the honey one, which like yours is fantastically light.  So light I put resolite tuners on it so it balances better.  That changed the tone a huge amount actually, much brighter, I have to roll off 1/4 turn of tone to get the pre tuner change tone.

I also changed the pickup to the SD SPB1, but that's just to get a certain sound.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2020 at 23:21, 40hz said:

Having started out on a 1985 E-Series Squier P-Bass back in 2003 I thought it was about time to play a P-Bass again after a near 20 year hiatus from owning one. Prompted by my starting up of a Motown band, I put a wanted ad out on these hallowed pages which turned up this beauty, a 2017 Mexican 50's Classic Series in Fiesta Red.

Not much that can be said that hasn't already about P-Basses but some interesting observations considering I've very much been a 'modern' bass type player all these years, purposefully shunning P's just because they are so ubiquitous.

The sheer authority and presence of the tone just doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face, it's the first time I've grinned from ear to ear playing a bass in quite some time. In comparison to every other bass I've owned, it's so much more 'there' all the way up the neck and on each string. The strength and clarity of the midrange just makes it absolutely sing. The tone control also has the widest range of usable differences I think I've ever used on a bass.

The neck, allegedly has a reputation as a baseball bat but I find it supremely comfortable to play and have no issues with getting around it quickly

Fit and finish are superb. I know Mexico have been on the up for many years,, but this is great even by the improved standards. The body is super resonant and you can feel it purring away while you play!

Colour me very, very impressed.

IMG_20201028_131349698.jpg

I have the same bass, I'm convinced the neck size contributes to its authoritative tone.

For the first few weeks I hated the neck dimensions, now I appreciate it.

I've been recording a lot during lockdown, it's my only bass that I can record direct without bothering with external EQ.

Sounds wonderful and sits in a mix.

Strung with Rotosound flats.

Edited by Tim Chapple
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 11/06/2022 at 21:35, Jimelliottbassist said:

These basses are amazing. I'm loving the tone with chrome flats through an Ampeg SVT 4 head and an old Aggie GS410 4 ohm cab. 

Yes indeed @JimelliottbassistI've had mine a few months now, and I'm absolutely smitten by it.
I'm not playing through an Ampeg - I've got a few amps which I use, for different situations.... and my P bass sounds amazing through all of them :) 

• Like 1