Why become a member? ×

Another multi musician lockdown collaboration....oh dear.

musicbassman

9 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Well, I may have my 'cranium up my anus'.  I prefer to think of it as old fashioned courtesy and manners that, if I disagree with someone, I don't resort to ridicule.  Yes, we all like different things and, yes, we all voice opinions about it.  My point is let's just play nicely.  Sorry if some of you think that is tedious - I'll get off my high horse now :) 

I suspect it's comments like the below that get people's backs up a little bit.

Seems to me that there are a handful of self-appointed arbiters of taste on here just waiting to tear apart anything that doesn't meet their own personal criteria for 'a good thing'. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Agreed, it was perhaps the turning point for the thread :)

Without that style of comment, most BC threads end up regressing to the mean, that is a balance is achieved and we all agree to a point. But as soon as someone opts for meta-comment, then the thread is always polarised and often just descends into "I'm right/you're wrong". There's just no point. 

• Like 1

As I turn 65 today (gulp), I thought I would weigh in...

People like me - ‘white, male and stale’ - have had their day in today’s society. I welcome diversity, but also accept that reality. 

BC is one place I still feel relevant. I know David, the OP, and he isn’t a negative person. He does have opinions, as do we all, and it would be a shame if he, I or anyone else could not express them here without reservation. 

☮️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In a nutshell all performers, from mime artists busking outside M & S to A list thesps etc, are putting themselves out there knowing that there'll be haters. I'm sure we've all done gigs where a certain % of the crowd thought we sucked and even told us so in no uncertain terms. They can even throw stuff at the stage a long as they're pleasantly edible

• Like 1

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

I'm sure we've all done gigs where a certain % of the crowd thought we sucked and even told us so in no uncertain terms. 

I've done gigs where a certain % of the band thought I sucked and told me so in uncertain terms :)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

People like me - ‘white, male and stale’ - have had their day in today’s society. I welcome diversity, but also accept that reality. 

BC is one place I still feel relevant. I know David, the OP, and he isn’t a negative person. He does have opinions, as do we all, and it would be a shame if he, I or anyone else could not express them here without reservation. 

☮️

Happy birthday Mickey :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

☮️

Pale, male and stale they say. You're definitely two of these but not past your sell by date yet :) Happy birthday mate. 

• Thanks 1

Always wonder if some of the heated debate threads on here that derail, where someone takes umbrage with another's taste - wouldn't escalate if there was a 'politely disagree' button.  

Not sure what the symbol should be, maybe 🤔

Edited by Drax

Well, this was a rollercoaster of a read, i think somewhere some words got lost in translation, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and considering this is a forum where people share interests, likes and dislikes, i think it is very ok for someone like OP to post something like this and say he didn't like it to see if there are others(like him) who share that opinion or others(videos) that are either better or worse, and expect a debate, or discussion on this. Again he did say it's his opinion, not the general consensus, as most things that have not been scientifically proven are(just someone's opinion).

I, like many of you, have been playing bass for a while and not all of my youtube or and especially TV appearances were that good, i know it, and most people know it, but hey, also my music isn;t what everybody would call commercial or easy listen, or even music, so yeah, such is life in this era, the internet allows us to make public way too many things that, by others' standards, or even our own at one time or another, should not be made public.

Anyway, in regards to the initial post, I personally think it was a very interesting idea but not necessarily with the best execution, but could i have done it better? Definitely not!

Also Happy Birthday Mickey, to many more low end filled years!

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

☮️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I am genuinely surprised by this.  In asking to get folks to disagree politely I am now the bad guy?  I find this ironic.

Anyway, lesson learnt, I'll keep my nose out of other people's discussions from now on.  'Nothing to see here, move on'. 😁

• Like 1