Why become a member? ×

Another multi musician lockdown collaboration....oh dear.

musicbassman

Well, here's yet another multi musician lockdown collaboration, this one apparently put together by a guy called Freddi Sturm.

It came up in my Youtube recommendations for some reason.

Loads of instruments, everyone trying very hard, but I think the end result is utterly awful.

And quite how he managed to get the uber talented Alba Armengou to appear on this is beyond comprehension.

Other opinions are available.

Man, if you think that's utterly awful, you need to spend some more time on YouTube to reassess your benchmark.

Seems to me it's just some folk blowing off steam to break the boredom of not being out and playing.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Man, if you think that's utterly awful, you need to spend some more time on YouTube to reassess your benchmark.

Seems to me it's just some folk blowing off steam to break the boredom of not being out and playing.

No, that is utterly awful, the fact that there is worse to be found doesn’t excuse it for a second :)

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I have no idea if it is awful or not as I haven't bothered to listen to it. But if the OP does think it is that bad, then why bother to start a thread about it?? Very negative and not very cool. 

As you say, a lot of musos are stuff like this to make up for not being able to play together normally. If you don't like one of these collaborations, then move on and find one that you do - there's plenty to choose from at the moment... 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, peteb said:

I have no idea if it is awful or not as I haven't bothered to listen to it. But if the OP does think it is that bad, then why bother to start a thread about it?? Very negative and not very cool.

OP here. The point of the post is that although each musician may work very hard on their part of the collaboration they're ultimately putting their name on something where they had no control over the end product.

These collaborations are all dressed up as great multi disciplined efforts, but maybe really they're more about the ego of the presenter/producer.

I'm sure Alba Armengou wouldn't have wanted to have her name on this when she heard the end result.

27 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

OP here. The point of the post is that although each musician may work very hard on their part of the collaboration they're ultimately putting their name on something where they had no control over the end product.

These collaborations are all dressed up as great multi disciplined efforts, but maybe really they're more about the ego of the presenter/producer.

I'm sure Alba Armengou wouldn't have wanted to have her name on this when she heard the end result.

Yeah. my thoughts too. It’s a bit Alan Partridge in places.

(.And I have to confess the Jacob Collier vocal comp guy made me laugh out loud.)

• Like 1

Musically I don't like it... but that is due to it not being my bag than the performance. 

I saw  similar thing on the Reggae thread that worked OK though.

In principle I don't have  problem with people doing this as way to collaborate and stay involved in music...... but I don't expect that mass-participation collabs will yield better results than music made by the usual amount of collaborators.

40 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Musically I don't like it... but that is due to it not being my bag than the performance. 

I saw  similar thing on the Reggae thread that worked OK though.

In principle I don't have  problem with people doing this as way to collaborate and stay involved in music...... but I don't expect that mass-participation collabs will yield better results than music made by the usual amount of collaborators.

Agreed, it feels like the BBC Perfect Day thing from about 20 years ago, only without any redeeming musical qualities. Or any redeeming qualities of any sort.

I watched it for about 40 seconds yesterday and had a nightmare that I was part of it last night. My therapist is seeing me at 9.15. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Agreed, it feels like the BBC Perfect Day thing from about 20 years ago, only without any redeeming musical qualities. Or any redeeming qualities of any sort.

I watched it for about 40 seconds yesterday and had a nightmare that I was part of it last night. My therapist is seeing me at 9.15. 

Heather Small, right? I just do not get it.

Having participated in a couple of Open Micsolate collaborations earlier in the year, neither of which were as ambitious as that, I can't see the problem.

Edit: I did type out a big long reply, but having read it through I'm just leaving this bit as I just ended up sounding cross. Rampant negativity does that to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Having participated in a couple of Open Micsolate collaborations earlier in the year, neither of which were as ambitious as that, I can't see the problem.

Edit: I did type out a big long reply, but having read it through I'm just leaving this bit as I just ended up sounding cross. Rampant negativity does that to me.

It's OK - there's a certain Mark Bass competition that has your name all over it :P