Why become a member? ×

27” build, aka Infinite Bass 2.4SS COMPLETED

HazBeen

I'm always amazed how you chaps not only do, but actually love to do, the neck carve bit 👍🏼

It looks incredibly difficult to me, and would be waaay beyond my diy limits 😖

It is always impressive to see the results 👌🏼

• Like 2

This build is fighting me.

Maybe it’s the curfew (need to be indoors by 9pm or risk a fine), maybe it is me but I am facing lots of little issues.

Put in threaded inserts in the neck today.

I am using some new ones (not my regular ones).

Ended up with a hairline fracture in one of the corners... feck.... it does not run right through to the top of the heel (the bit you can see) thankfully as I stopped as soon as I saw the gap opening up. I will run a little glue into the crack, fill the hole (dowel), redril (slightly larger) and put the thread back in.

Then we should be good.

No pics today, just a few emoji’s

😳 ☹️😩😡🤬

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

The saga continues as I have also identified a hairline crack on the other corner. I should not have thinned the heel before installing the ferrules....... you live an learn :) 

I really do not want to redo the neck and have hatched a cunning plan create some more meat.  I will glue a 1cm deep, heel wide and 5mm thick piece of maple to the bottom of the heel and trim flush with the heel. I will then carefully route a 5mm deep cavity in the neck pocket. 

The heel extension will fit in the cavity, locking the neck in place and I then fix the neck with the  bolts as per plan.

I have “illustrated” in the attached pic.

544935E3-8074-4FF8-BD6B-39B2DB8B0D61.jpeg

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

The saga continues as I have also identified a hairline crack on the other corner. I should not have thinned the heel before installing the ferrules....... you live an learn :) 

I really do not want to redo the neck and have hatched a cunning plan create some more meat.  I will glue a 1cm deep, heel wide and 5mm thick piece of maple to the bottom of the heel and trim flush with the heel. I will then carefully route a 5mm deep cavity in the neck pocket. 

The heel extension will fit in the cavity, locking the neck in place and I then fix the neck with the  bolts as per plan.

I have “illustrated” in the attached pic.

544935E3-8074-4FF8-BD6B-39B2DB8B0D61.jpeg

Sounds OK to me.  You say they are different inserts to your normal ones - it sounds like the threads were trying to push their way through the wood rather than cutting their way through?

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Sounds OK to me.  You say they are different inserts to your normal ones - it sounds like the threads were trying to push their way through the wood rather than cutting their way through?

Pretty much that, instead of cutting they clearly have expanded the wood.

The thread on them is very fine, which is the issue. Horrible things that I will never use again, but we are where we are.....

I took 4mm of the top wood to get it flush with the body. I should’ve done that after doing the ferrules so cannot blame these ferrules (however horrible they are).

Now it is about solving the issue, and this fix will absolutely work and once the neck is on all will be fine.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

I think we are back on track.

Absolutely took no chances and threaded the holes first, then screwed in the (cr@p)  ferrules and let them protrude 1mm so I could position the block perfectly.

The maple block is on a slight diagonal, giving a bit more “meat” on the bass side.

Once dry I will trim flush and adapt the neck pocket. Crisis averted, lesson learnt.

152AE221-9AEA-4299-B65E-254E10A94C02.jpeg

• Like 4

Good day today! Took a day off from work to get a few things sorted (and have a lie in :)). 

- Pickup and control cavity painted with conductive paint

- Nut sorted

- Tuners sorted

- Prepped fretboard for fretting

- Settled on where I am going to put the Infinite Bass logo

DF4DB4B9-608E-42CE-8BF3-E4AF632245A4.jpeg

72DC6ACF-CF77-466C-B8DC-C7F8A51CB990.jpeg

F0EB9E1B-5D32-49C3-8DC8-FC3455998676.jpeg

A34B7F60-AF02-4F56-B073-FE97C40B0B3D.jpeg

D35E118C-91B8-4CA7-85BC-96F4E6A7262E.jpeg

C2C9DEEC-2C03-48A9-AAB9-7A4D3D3268BE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Try the logo on the upper horn...

Is that conductive paint made of dark matter ? Looks like it's capturing all the light around ! 😱

It literally absorbs everything, much like a black hole. Perhaps it is ..... 

Logo goes on headstock 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, am even on page 2.... I have clearly not been on for a while and more interestingly there are few build threads up! Yeah for us builders.

I finally will have some time again to progress this short scale build tonight and this weekend. Hope to be approaching “finish prep” by then.

In the meantime I have been working on (and ordering wood and parts) on the next build. 

5 string, multiscale (35-33 or 32”), modern design with the Fishman Fluence pickups in. Goal is that this bass will become my main 5-er. 

More details to follow on that in a few weeks (some parts have long lead times).

• Like 1

Just some polishing to do and we have a nicely fretted neck. Quite content this time around, frets went in without issue and I only needed minimal leveling/crowning.

Fret ends were filled with super glue and wenge dust.

Edited by HazBeen

Just now, HazBeen said:

Frets polished! 

Tomorrow I am going to sand everything to 600 grit, colour the body (purple), finish the pickup (screws), sort out all hardware and do all other bits required. Then start building coats of oil from Sunday onwards hopefully.

Excellent :)

• Like 1