Why become a member? ×

27” build, aka Infinite Bass 2.4SS COMPLETED

HazBeen

A few things worth noting:

• this entire bass was almost entirely built from stuff laying around, just the nut, trussrod and frets were bought
  • when putting oil on fretboard two darker lines developed between the 4th and 5th. fret. Almost like they are imperfections in the wood, they didn’t show when sanding. I played around with sanding them out, but that would cause me to sand the entire fretboard again. Since this one is just a fun bass for me I am not bothering. Character and all.
  • i almost never grain fill, as I like the look of just the wood. There are some lovely surface fissures that should look pretty cool once oiled.
  • had some minor tear out when I drilled 4 holes in my pickup/ramp. Needs a little touch up. My pillar drill is a heap of poo. I hand drilled the others, no issues. Should be fine, but just annoying when tools are not doing as they are told.

3 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

It’s not that I like purple as such, I was just curious (and doubting my colour vision)

I had blue and red stain left, I hand blended so if honest purple was a guess, ie I knew it would be some sort of purple, but had no clue exactly what. The burgundy I ended up with I will gladly take.

Edited by HazBeen

28 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

A few things worth noting:

• this entire bass was almost entirely built from stuff laying around, just the nut, trussrod and frets were bought
  • when putting oil on fretboard two darker lines developed between the 4th and 5th. fret. Almost like they are imperfections in the wood, they didn’t show when sanding. I played around with sanding them out, but that would cause me to sand the entire fretboard again. Since this one is just a fun bass for me I am not bothering. Character and all.
  • i almost never grain fill, as I like the look of just the wood. There are some lovely surface fissures that should look pretty cool once oiled.
  • had some minor tear out when I drilled 4 holes in my pickup/ramp. Needs a little touch up. My pillar drill is a heap of poo. I hand drilled the others, no issues. Should be fine, but just annoying when tools are not doing as they are told.

I use a plastic mandrel and punch set I got from Amazon - surprisingly good

4 coats on neck/body and pickup cover ...... and I have run out. I have ordered new finishing oil (much like Tru-OIl the stuff I use), but since 4 coats is ample for protection only  I will let dry and then do 1 coat of Lemon Oil. I don’t want high gloss.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1