Why become a member? ×

27” build, aka Infinite Bass 2.4SS COMPLETED

HazBeen

So after I built a 30” for my eldest son, now my 6 year old is asking for a bass. As it is well possible, even likely, that they will not pick up playing long-term I need to build something I could use as well. So why not build a mini :)

Looking at the scraps I have left over it will be a swamp ash/dark ash/walnut laminate body (8mm strips and plenty wood glue), neck thru maple/wenge/maple 25” scale (maybe 24”), with a single soapbar pickup. He wants a blue & red bass .... ehm okay.

This will be a slow build.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 3

It is of course your bass build and your son, so up to you entirely, but I would think your son might feel a 24" or 25" scale length would be more of a real bass, though if you know he will be just as happy with the 17.5" scale bass then absolutely go for it, I just took a look at the videos you mention, and they definitely look like cool unique instruments, and they sound good with an octaver, so the build in Sub'N'Up Mini would be a great idea.

I just can't help but being a bit concerned about your son possibly ending up being disappointed about it not really looking quite like a real bass, and I would think at 6 years a 24" or 25" scale bass would be about a perfect fit as a practice bass, in case he actually end up deciding to start learning how to play it properly. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time flies even when you are not tinkering with wooden bits :)

So developments..... built my son a Blue Cajon, so no more bass wanted by the youngest. So what now?

Well, I am going to build a 27” scale for me instead :)

Passive 4, 2 Bart Jazz pups from early 90’s. Mahogany body, Maple Wenge neck, 24 fret Wenge fretboard.

The rest I will decide on in due course, but as I am off next week I might actually start :) 

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 2

Slow as $&7)$, but we glued some Mahogany and cut a rough body shape!

Also did a “design” ..... just having some fun really. Fun bass, so it needs a quirky design. As most that will have followed builds I do know, the process tends to dictate the outcome so I never make CAD drawings or such.

6768D68E-0D01-415F-B71E-C57E6BE43528.jpeg

220A9C43-DAD3-475F-87C3-31EFD0546DF1.jpeg

• Like 3

Since I need to wait a few hours for the glue to dry on my fretless, I decided to make use of the time.

Body shape pretty much done, corners rounded and been playing around with where I want the arm cut. I am probably going to carve the body a little and incorporate the arm cut in keeping with the more modern design.

831CBCBB-85C7-4F5B-BB69-50E321A5A099.jpeg

• Like 3

Did a carve on the entire front of the body, really just creating a contour. Also did the belly carve, following the entire top half of the back side.

For an off the cuff design, I am both surprised and pleased. I really like it. I most certainly will use this shape again.

Just took the dust of with water, so it may look a bit blotchy in the pic.

C3146AB1-A086-4124-AD24-8AEB412F0490.jpeg

917444C8-6930-4070-9275-DE3421E512FF.jpeg

B14D8986-4407-4EED-B605-BE81BCC390FE.jpeg

1097E8C7-DF82-466F-A63B-275DABC72FFF.jpeg

99CE00D6-A756-4942-9E72-E6DD907C1322.jpeg

E87219C0-42F9-497A-9DC5-1F1E787ED1F8.jpeg

• Like 1

Am building this mainly from stuff I have lying around. Gotoh bridge from an old JB I had, early 90’s Barts from a Bogart I modded (my Thunder Blackstone, see old build thread) and a Tele style Ki0gon loom off this parish. Modern meets classic.

B94A5E99-F091-4F44-838A-7DABF8DEA8F8.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the fretless complete, now shifting attention to the shorty,

Just ordered:

- Brass Nut

- Medium fretwire (Dunlop)

- 4 Gotoh tuners 2L/2R

- Trussrod

- Strap buttons

- Neck ferrules 

I should now have all parts. Will be starting the neck soon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I have a simple question, Harry, due to the fact that it's a (very) short scale. Where are you positioning the two pickups ? Is it, scale wise, à la Fender 60's (or 70's) or at postions of your own ?

My own spacing Tony. I want to bring the front pickup back a little as the short scale means it will naturally have a more “bass heavy” sound and I want to prevent it getting too muddy. The back pickup is slightly closer to the bridge compared to 70s position (relative to scale) for the same reason.

I did a quick sound test with the shorter scale with the intended positions and it seemed to work well. My test rig is a 7x5 cm beam with 2 strings where I can test pickup positions.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1