gareth

Sad songs

4 hours ago, Deedee said:

It is a wonderful song but the circumstances around this version certainly make it all the more powerful. I think Rick Rubin explained it best when he said that when Trent Reznor wrote it, there was still hope for him to overcome his particular personal battles whereas when JC recorded this there was no longer any hope for him (declining health etc).

I prefer the JC version to the 9 inch nails one (apart from the "You stay away from me you hear" bit). Possibly due to circumstances or possibly JC's voice suits it better (IMHO). However the whole song is so full of despair, irrespective of who sings it.

Pre lock-down I'd occasionally sing this at open mics (playing one of those six string things), but when initially learning it (often singing along to the JC version) I found it hard to finish the song without shedding some tears.

• Like 1

Actually that reminds me of another I'd sing: Richard Thompson's "When I get to the Border". It's one of those where he does his old trick of setting really sad lyrics to what initially appears to be quite a jolly tune, or indeed using what initially sound like light lyrics to express a dark theme.

Borderline sad song depending on how i feel at the time it can make me sad or just enjoy such a great song.

How about this one? No idea what he's singing about, but has always made me feel very sad.

Dashiell Hedayat was a strange Frenchman who was apparently famous in several unrelated fields under a variety of pseudonyms. This was his rock phase. If to sound a bit like early Gong, that's because he used them as his backing band. I remember buying he album in the mid 70s, a rare find even then, with its textured cover. My ex sold it for pennies at a car boot when we split.

Edited by FinnDave

I always thought this was really sad, sometimes the sadness doesn't need words. This has words, I just don't know to write the letters!

Sometimes you don’t need words. I saw Camel play this live a couple of years or so ago, and by half way through I was sobbing. I can’t put this on with people around because I break down every time. It just really touches something in me. I wish I could find a live version on YT that really captures what the performance I saw was like.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

Has anybody listed Victims by Culture Club?? 

In his hay day Boy George's voice was amazing - full of passion.

32 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Sometimes you don’t need words. I saw Camel play this live a couple of years or so ago, and by half way through I was sobbing. I can’t put this on with people around because I break down every time. It just really touches something in me. I wish I could find a live version on YT that really captures what the performance I saw was like.

Fantastic choice. I was listening to that album couple weeks ago Great song

Dave

• Like 1

Few from some classic bands i enjoy.

Fantastic guitsr solo at the end. Loved the sound he used on this. Not sure if it was Mike or Daryl on it.

And a song from Mr David Gilmour that always brought a tear to my eye. Initially i thought it was written for Richard but i believe it was for his son. I prefer to believe it was for Richard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Few from some classic bands i enjoy.

Fantastic guitsr solo at the end. Loved the sound he used on this. Not sure if it was Mike or Daryl on it.

And a song from Mr David Gilmour that always brought a tear to my eye. Initially i thought it was written for Richard but i believe it was for his son. I prefer to believe it was for Richard.

Don’t think Darryl played on the album, so it would have been Mike so far as I’m aware. I love ATTWT, it’s my favourite Genesis studio album. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Don’t think Darryl played on the album, so it would have been Mike so far as I’m aware. I love ATTWT, it’s my favourite Genesis studio album. 

After Seconds Out. 

Its probably my fav of the studio albums. Did a check and it was only the three of them on that album.  

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

After Seconds Out. 

Its probably my fav of the studio albums. Did a check and it was only the three of them on that album.  

Dave

I thought so, because I’d read that Mike was basically learning to play lead at that point. Personally I think he did a great job.

Yeah, I specifically said favourite of the studio albums because of Seconds Out.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I thought so, because I’d read that Mike was basically learning to play lead at that point. Personally I think he did a great job.

Yeah, I specifically said favourite of the studio albums because of Seconds Out.

Sorry i missed the "studio" in your reply.

Seems we have a similar tastes in music :lol:

Dave

• Like 1

Janis Ian has written some belters. Everyone knows 'At Seventeen' but I'll chuck this one in, it manages to paint a picture in a very economical amount of time.

Edited by KevB
  • Like 1

No lyrics on this one from me, but personally, extremely melancholic. When our youngest was born, she had a very difficult birth and almost died, when I finally left the hospital this was on the tape player in the car, and its haunted me ever since. shamelessly leaking fluid right now, still hurts. 

• Like 2