Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m a sucker for sad songs and have been going through my Steve Earle collection and re discovered this song 

I don’t usually listen to lyrics but these did 

I am just a pilgrim on this road, boys 

This ain't never been my home llo

Sometimes the road was rocky long the way, boys 

But I was never travelin' alone

We'll meet again on some bright highway 

Songs to sing and tales to tell 

But I am just a pilgrim on this road, boys 

Until I see you fare thee well

Ain't no need to cry for me, boys 

Somewhere down the road you'll understand 

Cause I expect to touch his hand, boys 

Put a word in for you if I can

 

It’s a perfect song - full of sadness and emotion - written by Earle following the death at 40 of Nashville bass player Roy Milton Huskey (December 17, 1956 – September 6, 1997)

 

D713A534-6B93-41C6-ACA3-7A5ACA99B372.jpeg

Edited by gareth
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed that (not sure enjoy is the right term but..)

My go to sad song is a John Mayall song I heard when I was about 15 on the radio & I still love it.

 

A car has killed a friend down in Chicago, thousand miles away
A car has killed a friend down in Chicago, thousand miles away
When I read the news, night came early in my day

J.B Lenoir is dead and it's hit me like a hammer blow
J.B Lenoir is dead and it's hit me like a hammer blow
I cry inside my heart that the world can hear my man no more

J.B had a struggle playin' unappreciated blues in vain
J.B had a struggle playin' unappreciated blues in vain
Now the Blues has lost a king and I've lost a friend who died in vain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rod does melancholy beautifully.
 

Here’s a couple that I love. Neither were written by him but his interpretation of the songs and how he pours every ounce of himself into them has made me think of them as ‘his’ over the years...

Hankies at the ready! 


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, el borracho said:

Enjoyed that (not sure enjoy is the right term but..)

My go to sad song is a John Mayall song I heard when I was about 15 on the radio & I still love it.

 

A car has killed a friend down in Chicago, thousand miles away
A car has killed a friend down in Chicago, thousand miles away
When I read the news, night came early in my day

J.B Lenoir is dead and it's hit me like a hammer blow
J.B Lenoir is dead and it's hit me like a hammer blow
I cry inside my heart that the world can hear my man no more

J.B had a struggle playin' unappreciated blues in vain
J.B had a struggle playin' unappreciated blues in vain
Now the Blues has lost a king and I've lost a friend who died in vain

Yes like that - baritone sax solo is nice - thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Rod does melancholy beautifully.
 

Here’s a couple that I love. Neither were written by him but his interpretation of the songs and how he pours every ounce of himself into them has made me think of them as ‘his’ over the years...

Hankies at the ready! 


 

Yes can’t forget Rod and always liked this one

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Otis and Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (It’s a sad song).

But then I love Stax style music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gareth said:

Yes can’t forget Rod and always liked this one

 

In an alternative universe (i.e. one that operates in my mind only!) I have the singing voice of early Rod and can be found at various open mic events nonchalantly stepping up in front of the cynical and world-weary crowd and rendering the room speechless..!
 

Once finished, I’d return to my table, collect my belongings and depart quietly into the night, free of ego and never to be seen in the club again... Rod, quite correctly, took a different route!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I well recall hearing this song for the first time on the radio, at a time when it perfectly described my situation... having just been kicked into the long grass by a woman I adored utterly. I vividly remember sobbing my heart out as I listened to it. Consequently it's the saddest song I've ever heard.
I know it's a Bonnie Raitt song and her version is probably the better one for being the original, but this take will always be 'special' for me in the wrong ways. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'And we buried ours and the Turks buried theirs... then it started all over again.'

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, andruca said:

Saddest, ever...

 

Love that version, but is it the song that's sad or the circumstances around its making?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably quite a few i like but always thought Nazareth did a great sad song. Here's a couple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich said:


I know it's a Bonnie Raitt song and her version is probably the better one for being the original, but this take will always be 'special' for me in the wrong ways. 

 

I'm not ashamed to say I cried the first time I heard Bonnie Raitt sing that live.

This is plenty sad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One that always tugs my heart strings is this. Was listening to this album when my Mother passed away. Everytime i listen to it i shed a tear.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...