Why become a member? ×

Markbass CDM 102P

Ghost Rider

I don't have that exact combo, but the heads in all of the combos are the same. 

I think generally the consensus is they're great heads, excellent sound and the CMD121P (what I have) is regularly recommended as the 'go to' one box solution. IME it sounds great, is an easy carry and certainly doesn't lack power. 

That said, and my personal experience is, if the head *does* go wrong, it's likely an expensive fix indeed given the class D heads are very difficult to service. I've given an estimate of in excess of £200 for mine (before they saw it) by the UK service agent and I have seen others have higher quotes. Sadly the private vendor of mine never replied to my messages so I wasn't able to see if there was any warranty cover available, but that's part of the cost/benefit analysis when buying second hand. 

I gather from what I have read on here and elsewhere MB Italy service is poor, though I haven't personally experienced that myself. 

The good thing is that the LM form-factor heads are in effect interchangeable, so if it does go, you could always pick up a replacement second hand. 

I've decided given lockdown meant I've not been playing much to go with a backup/alternative option for now, but I will try and get it fixed down the line. 

If you're buying new then I'd say go for it - if second-hand, factor in that repairs might be costly, but I think I have been unlucky - faulty heads seem fairly few and far between. 

I have one of these. The Indonesian model, which is identical to the Italian version, as far as I know. It has been very reliable, and I can't say I've noticed any troubling fan noise.

It's not as compact as the 121P mentioned above, and it is extremely punchy. i sometimes crave the Traveller 102 extension cab in order to feel more of a man, but I don't think it needs it for most applications. Great DI out and very effective EQ. I find the two filters useful on occasion, especially the vintage one. It is surprisingly light for its size.

28 minutes ago, Jakester said:

I don't have that exact combo, but the heads in all of the combos are the same. 

I think generally the consensus is they're great heads, excellent sound and the CMD121P (what I have) is regularly recommended as the 'go to' one box solution. IME it sounds great, is an easy carry and certainly doesn't lack power. 

That said, and my personal experience is, if the head *does* go wrong, it's likely an expensive fix indeed given the class D heads are very difficult to service. I've given an estimate of in excess of £200 for mine (before they saw it) by the UK service agent and I have seen others have higher quotes. Sadly the private vendor of mine never replied to my messages so I wasn't able to see if there was any warranty cover available, but that's part of the cost/benefit analysis when buying second hand. 

I gather from what I have read on here and elsewhere MB Italy service is poor, though I haven't personally experienced that myself. 

The good thing is that the LM form-factor heads are in effect interchangeable, so if it does go, you could always pick up a replacement second hand. 

I've decided given lockdown meant I've not been playing much to go with a backup/alternative option for now, but I will try and get it fixed down the line. 

If you're buying new then I'd say go for it - if second-hand, factor in that repairs might be costly, but I think I have been unlucky - faulty heads seem fairly few and far between. 

Hi mate, thanks for the very detailed reply! It’s much appreciated. 
I did have a look around the Internet forums regarding that combo & there did seem some quality issues but then again it could of sold 5,000 units of that head & you might only hear of the once that go Bang! 
The one I’ve seen is 2nd hand & according to the rear of the amp it’s a 2016 model. 
I have been looking for an alternative amp/head/combo as it started a thread last week. This markbass caught my eye but I’m still looking at other options. 
I did see an Eden TN 226 at thomman for only £177 but then a I’d need a cab so there’s another £150/£250 or thereabouts. 
Eden doesn’t seem as fashionable as markbass at the moment. The market seems to change regularly!!! 
Thanks once again for your reply to my thread. 

Regard - Anth 

3 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I have one of these. The Indonesian model, which is identical to the Italian version, as far as I know. It has been very reliable, and I can't say I've noticed any troubling fan noise.

It's not as compact as the 121P mentioned above, and it is extremely punchy. i sometimes crave the Traveller 102 extension cab in order to feel more of a man, but I don't think it needs it for most applications. Great DI out and very effective EQ. I find the two filters useful on occasion, especially the vintage one. It is surprisingly light for its size.

Hi mate, what’s the fan like if you use the amp of really low volume? 
Cheers - Anth 

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

Hi mate, what’s the fan like if you use the amp of really low volume? 
Cheers - Anth 

Inaudible! The amp is not really working at low volume. I can't stand extraneous noises, especially high pitched ones, since my hearing aids make EVERYTHING really loud. If the fan was making a noise I would throw the amp out of the window, probably. Hope this helps!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, songofthewind said:

Inaudible! The amp is not really working at low volume. I can't stand extraneous noises, especially high pitched ones, since my hearing aids make EVERYTHING really loud. If the fan was making a noise I would throw the amp out of the window, probably. Hope this helps!

Yes it does mate! Cheers! I can’t stand anything that messes with the sound, I do a good enough job of that with my sausage fingers! 
Cheers mate - Anth. 

I've had the later 121h for a few years now, which I believe is the same head. I couldn't tell you when or if the fan comes on, either at home, at rehearsal or gigging.... and I think the fact that I've never noticed is probably a good thing.

• Like 1

I've got this model and the fan on mine comes on straight away. not very loud mind.

I've had no issues with the combo at all. When i bought it i wasn't to sure if i liked the sound but i have very much grown to like it.

When i get gigging again i'll be tempted to get the 12" extension cab.