Why become a member? ×

Has anyone played in a band with a sibling?

Barking Spiders

Not my brother (who I have very limited time for, and fortunately for me shows no musical talent whatsoever) but I have played in a couple of bands with my cousin, who is reasonably well known lead guitarist in the world of extreme metal

He's one of my closest mates, and having known him for 50 years it was very interesting seeing him in a band situation.  He can be quite, ahem, abrasive,  and likes to go toe to toe and make everybody fight their corner, although I tend to find that funny

It worked very well for the bands I've been in with him - everybody is free to say what they think about the music, but it's only about the music and arguments were all for the right reason (even if they tended to the insulting side of criticising somebody's playing, mine included, and he took it as well as he gave it out) so it never spilled over, and once we left the studio there was no resentment for anything that had been said.  And it never happened at gigs.  Although, I can now understand why he's been sacked from a couple of bands...a week in a tour bus would be a lot to put up with

2 hours ago, Nibody said:

No. But I was in a band where the guitarist had the hots for the singer, then wanted to fire her when she brushed him off. So I ended up firing him for a few reasons.. and she left because I had fired him (not knowing he was actively trying to get her fired...)

....and they lived happily ever after 😂

My brother is the most musical drummer I have ever played with. We’ve had some hilarious gigs. It’s great when bass player and drummer can work together. When they’re brothers who have played together on and off for 40 years - the rest of the band have really got to be on their toes. 

Just one look and a nod between us can completely change the song. 😂

1 hour ago, gjones said:

....and they lived happily ever after 😂

I could see the attraction - she was somewhere between Clara Osborne from Dr Who and Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah's (and by christ she could sing) But I was there to write music not play "Fleetwood Mac style hide the sausage".. LOL. He never got his wicked way either way.

• Haha 1

Played in a band with my brother early doors, we learnt our first chords etc off dad, played in church then started playing our own music. Had a blast, some adventures and some arguments too, but it was fun. 

I'm now in a band with my wife who's the singer and runs the admin. Its great.

I first met my wife when she came to audition for a band I was in, We gigged regularly for 15 years until she had to give up singing due to throat issues.

Our 15 year old daughter occasionally plays Sax in another one of my bands now, I would love to be able to perform with both of them, if my wife felt up to signing a number or two?

Played in a Ceilidh band a few times, where other members were husband, wife, son and nephew, all with the same surname, Lee, so I was introduced as an ‘honorary Lee’.

It wasn’t until later I thought to mention that my mother’s maiden name was.    Lee.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Played in a Ceilidh band a few times, where other members were husband, wife, son and nephew, all with the same surname, Lee, so I was introduced as an ‘honorary Lee’.

It wasn’t until later I thought to mention that my mother’s maiden name was.    Lee.

Was that a band called fiddle-Lee diddle-Lee?

Just asking 😁

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny (IMO) story about the band I was in with my brother........

Me and a drummer had been trying to get a band together for a year or so. We looked around for other people for ages, when I eventually (!) remembered that I could ask my brother to join, and drummer could ask his mate from old Uni to join. Finally we had a working version of the band.

We'd been rehearsing for nearly a year and at a rehearsal me and brother were chatting (must have been about family or something) and Uni-mate says in a surprised tone "Are you two brothers?"

I'd assumed that the drummer would have told him that as part of induction into the band but......... hey, that's drummers!

On 28/10/2020 at 01:50, Baxlin said:

Please tell me the wife's name was Kay.

• Haha 1