Why become a member? ×

Has anyone played in a band with a sibling?

Barking Spiders

If so is/was your relationship more like the Corrs, Nolans or more the Davies and the Gallaghers? I've three older sisters and a slightly  younger brother and once was in band for a short while with bro who was the drummist. It wasn't our band which was just as well otherwise there could've been fists a'flyin' if it had been such was our relationship back then. Now,  there'd be a much mellower vibe. Would've liked to've played in a band with a couple of the sistren as they had nice pipes and one was a dab hand on the keys. Main thing is they had lots of male admirers which I always played to my advantage and a couple of the boyfriends were well connected in the musical/entertainment world.

I was in an originals band with my brother...... we were both in our late twenties at the time, so well past our arguing phase.

The band as whole was pretty democratic, so no room for ego or strops.

The band split due to external circumstances..... but one thing in life I'm really grateful for is that I had a couple of years in a band with my brother.

We have a studio demo tape to mark it.... and our mum has a copy & MP3s of her beloved boys!

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I understand the Knopflers didn't get on very well

I heard stories from a producer/manager (can't remember which) from around time of first DS album.

They P/M said that David Knopfler wrote some decent songs too, and that the P/M suggested that DS should have a split of something like 8 Mark and 2 Dave songs per album. Mark said "no way".

Another time Dave was discussing how to approach  song.... "should I do it like this or that, what do you think Mark" to which Mark replied "I don't care what you do"

Allegedly anyway.

I was in a few bands with my brother (guitarist) in the 80s. His involvement was always fairly short lived. He usually fell out with other guitarists and walked as he felt they were never up to his level. It was a shame because he was good - don't think he has played in about 30 years now.

yep, did a rock covers band in the 90s, for 6 years. We did about 600 gigs together. And 2 years ago, we reformed for my 50th birthday party. We sounded really good then and at my party we were great. It was like we had never been away.

Also been in 2 bands with my wife playing bass, whilst I was on guitar. Great fun. In our 2nd band, the other singer was married to the other guitar player and their son, (Kieran from BGT) was on drums. This was a fantastic band until Kieran left. Now we don't get on. Shame really, life's too short to get too bogged down with it all

Again, not quite a sibling, but I was in bands with my cousin - the nearest I have to a brother - in our teens in the 60s, busked with him in the 1970s, and now, in our 70s, record remotely (we live about 100 miles apart) with him purely for our own amusement.

Edited by Baxlin

I was in an originals band with my brother. He is 10 years younger than me and we have never had a cross word. My bro was a 17 year old drummer at the time but we needed a new bassist as the existing left two weeks before a long standing gig. He left in a strop but said we could use his bass gear if we were stuck. I asked my bro if he fancied an audition on bass before we cancelled the gig. I gave him a cassette of a live recording of 23 of our original songs. Learn 6 of them and we will see you next Tuesday for a run through I said without much hope. The following Tuesday he had all 6 down perfectly, oh, and the rest of the 23. Originals, and from a wobbly cassette???? Impressed? You bet we were, and after one band practice we did the gig the next week. I secretly hate him for having so much talent, he obviously got my share as well. He now plays keyboards as well as bass and drums, oh and guitar. Git.

• Like 1

Yes, most of the bands I’ve been in since 1977 have involved my little bro’ (2 yrs younger). We always got on really well, but funnily enough, now we’re in our 50s I’m less tolerant and happier to do something separate.

36 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Not my siblings, but I was in a band with twin brothers.

I can add to that scenario. About 10 years ago I put together a band of me on bass and one twin daughter on drums and the other on guitar and lead vocals. We managed to get quite a few gigs, mostly private parties, until they went their different adult ways.

After those few fiery years I’ve never, ever been bothered by band arguments. 
Poor photo, but it’s the only one I could find.

B228912F-16B7-4211-8A5B-3F38CDD80B34.jpeg

• Like 1

I've played with one of my brothers as a one off, we might do some folky stuff in the future.

My other brother is way above my pay grade, long ago he did jam with my first band and it was epic, but logistics made it impractical for him to join (he lived 30 miles away and didn't have a car).

We might all be living in the same town again for the first time in 40 years... anything's possible.

I've been in a band, for 15 years, where the singer and guitarist are married.

When I first joined they used to have incredible on stage rows.

Many a time the singer would, half way through a gig, get the hump and walk off stage and eff off home.

The audience thought it was part of the act.

Weirdly, they said they never argued at home, just when they were on stage.

• Sad 1

I was in a band for a short while with male and female singers both of whom were rather handsome examples of their gender.  It soon became apparent that there was some kind of spark between them which resulted in both leaving their respective partners to become an item.  Both had kids and it got rather messy.  Worse than that, they then ganged up and believed it was 'their' band and started calling the shots.  And that was that.  Shame really as everything started off really well.  The drummer was the best I had ever played with - ex-pro dragged out of retirement - but he was so whizzed off about it all that he packed up drumming.

• Sad 2

No. But I was in a band where the guitarist had the hots for the singer, then wanted to fire her when she brushed him off. So I ended up firing him for a few reasons.. and she left because I had fired him (not knowing he was actively trying to get her fired...)