Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan PB62 Precision Bass

Bobkat

On 27/10/2020 at 08:25, Steve Browning said:

But, what is it that leads you to a Precision? My bass of choice, so nothing wrong there but I wonder if your choice is based on looks alone? If you haven't tried one then you may find the neck uncomfortable etc. We are all different so what suits one may not suit all. Ignore me if you have done this but if you have an opportunity to go to a shop and try some different basses (for feel) I would recommend you do that.

Worth mentioning that there is quite a wide range of Precision necks. I have small hands and find the current models with the 1.625" / 41mm nut width to be just perfect for me, but I had a Classic 50s with 1.75" / 44.5mm nut that I found uncomfortable, particularly due to the sharpness of the fingerboard digging in to my finger when reaching for a low F.

I'm not 100% (although I'm sure someone here could clarify) but apart from the true vintage basses I think it's only the 57 & 62 USA reissues, the MIM 50s / Roadworn, and old Squier JVs that have the wider necks. Most of the Japanese 'reissues' don't have the classic chunky neck profile. Then even among them there will be a variation of depth front to back, I suspect the 60s ones may be slimmer than the 50s but don't quote me on that!

There was a period in the 70s where the necks were very slim, in between a J & P, and the Nate Mendel sig is based on that neck profile.

Jazz basses have a 1.5" / 38mm nut and tend to have skinnier necks in general. Some people find this more comfortable, but others report hand cramping and prefer a chunkier neck. You can always fit a J neck to a P though and vice versa!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Worth mentioning that there is quite a wide range of Precision necks. I have small hands and find the current models with the 1.625" / 41mm nut width to be just perfect for me, but I had a Classic 50s with 1.75" / 44.5mm nut that I found uncomfortable, particularly due to the sharpness of the fingerboard digging in to my finger when reaching for a low F.

I'm not 100% (although I'm sure someone here could clarify) but apart from the true vintage basses I think it's only the 57 & 62 USA reissues, the MIM 50s / Roadworn, and old Squier JVs that have the wider necks. Most of the Japanese 'reissues' don't have the classic chunky neck profile. Then even among them there will be a variation of depth front to back, I suspect the 60s ones may be slimmer than the 50s but don't quote me on that!

There was a period in the 70s where the necks were very slim, in between a J & P, and the Nate Mendel sig is based on that neck profile.

Jazz basses have a 1.5" / 38mm nut and tend to have skinnier necks in general. Some people find this more comfortable, but others report hand cramping and prefer a chunkier neck. You can always fit a J neck to a P though and vice versa!

True. The 70US models have that B profile (the between one you mention). My favourite profile and all my basses have that profile. You are right, the 50's necks are wider.

I'll put my neck on the line (geddit?) and say that the Fender MIJ '62 RI Precisions necks are THE BEST factory production necks out there. Wide but shallow, beautiful boards and fretwork, and I don't recall ever having to adjust the truss rod, they're very stable. The only thing that can improve them - assuming it hasn't happened through natural wear - is a slight thinning of the finish on the back to speed things up a little.