Why become a member? ×

Chorus Pedals - A Blind Tasting

stewblack

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Awww shame the Zoom didn't get a fair billing, particularly as it was pitched against relatively budget competition other than #5...I think the result of the vote has been stolen 😁

I know, but the Zoom is staying regardless. It just does way too much too well. 

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

As many folk quite rightly noticed I totally messed up on number 4 and selected a phaser clone thinking it was the chorus clone on a Zoom MS-60B 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

The list in full :

01) Mooer Pitch Box not technically a chorus pedal but the 'detune' mode is effectively a chorus.

02) Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

03) Behringer FX600 Digital Multi-FX

04) Zoom MS-60B EHX clone

05) MXR bass chorus deluxe

Interesting, especially #1 as my all-time favourite chorus effect is the MXR Pitch Transposer, on it's "0" setting which gave a massive thickening of the sound without loosing any of the power or definition to the bass sound. Unfortunately it was horrendously expensive, not particularly reliable and all but unusable without the separate and equally expensive display module.

My second favourite was the far more affordable Amdek Chorus which was basically a Boss CE2 in semi-kit form, and which was an essential part of my bass/guitar/synth rigs during the 80s until I was able to afford a Roland GP8 multi-effects unit.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2020 at 09:55, stewblack said:

I know, but the Zoom is staying regardless. It just does way too much too well. 

Although lacking in the department of parameters that can be controlled I found the Boss CE-1 model of the Zoom MS-70 CDR (and possibly others of the multi stomp boxes) to actually be an amazing sounding chorus effect that is not all that far from the effect it seeks to emulate.

Really a shame that Zoom didn't update and include that effect for their newer line of multi effects.

When that is said the chorus I currently use is actually a vibrato effect, namely the TC Electronic Shaker Mini, and even though you can actually chose between a couple of chorus effects, under the modulation menu, in the Toneprint editor, I programmed the one I use using the vibrato modulation, just blended with cleans (as that is actually what a chorus is, a pitch vibrato effect blended with clean signal), the one described in this thread I made about it :

In my opinion one of the best chorus effects I've ever heard, though extremely thick and lush, so might not be to everyone's taste.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 19:48, PaulThePlug said:

#1 for me - Sounds like an original 2 knob Boss... i had the 2 knob Amdek self build kit copy...

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Interesting, especially #1 as my all-time favourite chorus effect is the MXR Pitch Transposer...

My second favourite was the far more affordable Amdek Chorus which was basically a Boss CE2 in semi-kit form...

Had the Orange Distortion and Green Phaser wire-up kits as well... Great Pedals

On 04/11/2020 at 18:13, PaulThePlug said:

Had the Orange Distortion and Green Phaser wire-up kits as well... Great Pedals

I also had the Flanger kit. Both eventually ended up in a 1U rack unit for studio use. Also because of the semi-kit nature of these pedals, you didn't worry as much about modifying them. My flanger pedal had an additional input which allowed me to use a control voltage instead of the built-in LFO. Got some interesting sounds out of it using the envelope CV from a Korg MS20 synth to sweep the flange.

On 03/11/2020 at 16:26, stewblack said:

As many folk quite rightly noticed I totally messed up on number 4 and selected a phaser clone thinking it was the chorus clone on a Zoom MS-60B 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

The list in full :

01) Mooer Pitch Box not technically a chorus pedal but the 'detune' mode is effectively a chorus.

02) Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

03) Behringer FX600 Digital Multi-FX

04) Zoom MS-60B EHX clone

05) MXR bass chorus deluxe

Nice.

I liked #1 and #2 the best, and #5 too. Probably #2 for me.

I didn't like #3 or #4, especially #4.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Hmm, depends what you like from a chorus (or what the song requires). For out and out wateriness (is that a word?) number 3. However, for a good all round chorus, either 1 or 2 for me (they were very similar).

Couldn't agree more this was an extremely limited test and redundant now anyway as the Mooer went phut! earlier. I now have the Boss in a separate loop with a low gain distortion and together they are righteous!

• Like 1