Why become a member? ×

Short scale USA Stingray...anybody played one yet?

The fit, finish and feel is superb with a neck to die for. Roasted maple feels silky smooth, finished to perfection and smells great too if you like BBQ’s !!!

Punchy, articulate with a decent range of tones from the passive pickup, still Stingray though!

Starry Night finish looks amazing, the hardware is excellent. 

All round great bass, is it worth 3x a Sterling SS Ray ... I’m not sure 

Surely there’s a couple of people taken the plunge on one!!?? @TK4261 @4000

Edited by Adee
  • Like 2

Yes.  have to agree with @Adee. It's ideal for my small hands.  So easy to play. Only been able to play it through my home practice rig (Ashdown Valve pre-di, mixer and HD-280 headphones) so not been able to give it a good try out through my amp.

IMG_20201030_090800.thumb.jpg.8b41cf8b2d40395ac7f29d517fe71130.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, obbm said:

Yes.  have to agree with @Adee. It's ideal for my small hands.  So easy to play. Only been able to play it through my home practice rig (Ashdown Valve pre-di, mixer and HD-280 headphones) so not been able to give it a good try out through my amp.

IMG_20201030_090800.thumb.jpg.8b41cf8b2d40395ac7f29d517fe71130.jpg

I have to say I do love the look of this one. If they did a Sterling in sunburst I might just crack and buy one but can’t afford £2k!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

I have to say I do love the look of this one. If they did a Sterling in sunburst I might just crack and buy one but can’t afford £2k!

I agree but I didn't much go on the Sterling colours and some of the detail.  From what I can gather there is only a limited producton run.  I must say I'm very pleased with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, obbm said:

I agree but I didn't much go on the Sterling colours and some of the detail.  From what I can gather there is only a limited producton run.  I must say I'm very pleased with it.

Really pleased with mine too, it’s superb quality, I do totally get people held back by the cost, I sold two basses to cover it! The feel, the smell and colour did it for me, can’t resist a sparkly finish !!

D338931D-F61D-41D9-8856-3B1875FDA0AD.thumb.jpeg.8fd7cabf7b7ee3a347f48ae81a73f91c.jpeg

8F5F8C26-A38E-4E85-A1BE-4B086F69D7E6.thumb.jpeg.2e4bbfe6950d4b9d373c94c784d80ee6.jpeg

Edited by Adee
  • Like 4

These look like fantastic basses. I thought about buying one myself , but when the demos started appearing on youtube it struck me how much they sounded like a regular Stingray. If I was blindfolded I would not be able to hear any difference between these basses and the full-sized version.Nothing wrong with that, but ideally  I would prefer something a bit more discernibly different.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Misdee said:

These look like fantastic basses. I thought about buying one myself , but when the demos started appearing on youtube it struck me how much they sounded like a regular Stingray. If I was blindfolded I would not be able to hear any difference between these basses and the full-sized version.Nothing wrong with that, but ideally  I would prefer something a bit more discernibly different.

I’m not sure what you mean? A bass should sound likes bass. A stingray, a stingray etc. A shortscale shouldn’t sound different, but play different. (My view)

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Definitely a Stingray, but passive, pick up switching parallel, series, single coil as well as volume boost. Not as aggressive however it’s  basically a Stingray with a smaller body and shorter (nice smelling) neck

Bonus ... no battery required!!

22 hours ago, Adee said:

Really pleased with mine too, it’s superb quality, I do totally get people held back by the cost, I sold two basses to cover it! The feel, the smell and colour did it for me, can’t resist a sparkly finish !!

D338931D-F61D-41D9-8856-3B1875FDA0AD.thumb.jpeg.8fd7cabf7b7ee3a347f48ae81a73f91c.jpeg

8F5F8C26-A38E-4E85-A1BE-4B086F69D7E6.thumb.jpeg.2e4bbfe6950d4b9d373c94c784d80ee6.jpeg

Love the Starry Night finish.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 22:40, Burns-bass said:

I’m not sure what you mean? A bass should sound likes bass. A stingray, a stingray etc. A shortscale shouldn’t sound different, but play different. (My view)

I would say that a shorter scale length can give a different timbre to an instrument. The scale has a big influence on the kind of harmonic overtones a string produces when plucked/ picked/ thumped. Those overtones play a big part in defining the overall tone.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Misdee said:

I would say that a shorter scale length can give a different timbre to an instrument. The scale has a big influence on the kind of harmonic overtones a string produces when plucked/ picked/ thumped. Those overtones play a big part in defining the overall tone.

They do BUT I have three short scales, Musicman Stingray, Fender JMJ Mustang and Warwick Corvette and all three are different, be it the construction or pickups etc that makes them all sound quite different, not lacking anything ... all in a good way I might add

Edited by Adee

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Looks like the production run is over as Musicman website lists both the vintage sunburst and starry night as "Colour discontinued"

Every colour on the full size specials is discontinued too though. Saw what if I remember right was a music man rep on talkbass say they were discontinuing all finishes with the intention of better quality finish being used plus more gorgeous finishes. 

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, ped said:

What’s the deal with these at the moment then, are they bringing out new finishes/options at some point? Any ideas when? I’d like to try one at some stage. 

I asked that very question a few months back - this was the reply:

Thanks for your interest in the Short Scale StingRay!

Last year's finishes are a tough find in stores now as we only made about 200. It wouldn't hurt to check with our distributor in the UK to see if they are aware of any new ones still available with stores.

United KingdomStrings & Things Ltd.Unit 3/ 4, 202-210 Brighton Road, Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex BN43 6RJ+44 12 734 [email protected]://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/

We were hoping to launch 2 new standard production colors this Fall, but production capacity has been tight through the pandemic and that is not looking very likely now.

We may still offer some limited ones directly through the Vault later in the year, https://shop.music-man.com/instruments.html! 

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Music Man Customer Service Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that.  I might wait then as my preference is for a maple neck and I’m not a fan of sunburst. 

I wish I bought that ‘Prism’ finished vault bass when it was available, it looks great!! Can’t find any real owners online though. 

https://shop.music-man.com/music-man-short-scale-stingray-bass-micro-prism.html

9 hours ago, ped said:

Thanks for that.  I might wait then as my preference is for a maple neck and I’m not a fan of sunburst. 

I wish I bought that ‘Prism’ finished vault bass when it was available, it looks great!! Can’t find any real owners online though. 

https://shop.music-man.com/music-man-short-scale-stingray-bass-micro-prism.html

The Prism finish is cool, I went for a Starry Night and love it, you could possibly pick up a Sunburst and have it repainted in a colour of your choice, could be an option, although just finding a used one might be a challenge! The Tim Commerford shorties were nice too!