Why become a member? ×

Looking for a budget 112 Cab

AJC08

I'm looking to majorly downsize my gear.

Currently using the TC Electronic Staccato 51 head which I love! It's sat in a TC RC210C cab with the little gap for the head to sit in.

Love the rig but now as I only play at home/studio really do not need the 210. 

I'm looking at getting a 1x12 but I need something that can handle a low b well and also I would like a tweeter.

Really need some suggestion as I'm hitting a brick wall with what to get.

Don't mind used by the way.

Also I'll be playing a right mix of styles but mainly looking for a modern sort of sound with deep lows and sizzling highs. 

Hobby wise I mess about playing Justin Chancellor (tool) type stuff and prog metal.

Thanks for the help guys and girls!

3 hours ago, 4&5 String said:

Hartke comes to mind. HD112

Yeah I had spotted these and they do look pretty good going off reviews. I'd be possibly looking to link 2 in the future. Was looking at the Eden ex112 I think it is as well but the fact it doesn't link really changed my mind. 

10 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The tiny BF one10 handles a low B beautifully. Top end is nice too - but no tweeter. Does go to 6Khz though

BF make excellent cabs, but I'd put them into the "high-end" rather than "budget" category, which is what I think the OP is looking for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

BF make excellent cabs, but I'd put them into the "high-end" rather than "budget" category, which is what I think the OP is looking for?

You are right, bit beyond my budget now. I'm not after anything that is going to give me huge power or anything like that as it's mainly for studio use and smaller gigs at the moment. Hence just the 112. But I could be looking to expand that to 2 112s at some point. I just want something that's going to give me some fat donkey lows but some really crisp sizzling highs as like I say it's for a bass lead prog type project. In a similar light to Tool and Karnivool. 

Thing is, a decent 112 that delivers the quality you're after is not necessarily going to be that cheap, and I'm not sure that there is going to be much in it between what a decent 112 puts out and what a 210 can deliver, volume wise.

Must admit my steer would be to recommend sticking with the TCRS210C you have, particularly if you like it, as I suspect you may be disappointed with some of the more budget 112s in comparison. If you're looking at fat a*rse lows & crisp sizzling highs in a 112 you're going to be in Barefaced BB2 territory IMO. One in the FS for £600 and, yes, I'd be very happy to recommend it, but we're still not "budget"  by any means! Having said that, I'm a massive believer in getting the very best cab you can afford, so I'm not being particularly helpful!

The FRFR (aka PA speaker cab) crew may be along shortly with some recommendations which might provide a better combination of quality and price - although FRFR kit is not specifically tuned for bass guitar in the way that bass cabs are, and typically you would want an active FRFR speaker, which is effectively a combo. 

Edited by Al Krow

56 minutes ago, AJC08 said:

You are right, bit beyond my budget now. I'm not after anything that is going to give me huge power or anything like that as it's mainly for studio use and smaller gigs at the moment. Hence just the 112. But I could be looking to expand that to 2 112s at some point. I just want something that's going to give me some fat donkey lows but some really crisp sizzling highs as like I say it's for a bass lead prog type project. In a similar light to Tool and Karnivool. 

Have you got a budget in mind?

Used ones come up reasonably priced.

On 26/10/2020 at 13:43, AJC08 said:

I'm looking at getting a 1x12 but I need something that can handle a low b well and also I would like a tweeter.

On 26/10/2020 at 13:43, AJC08 said:

Also I'll be playing a right mix of styles but mainly looking for a modern sort of sound with deep lows and sizzling highs. 

I think you may need to spend money to get that combination of qualities. Something like a used BF Big Baby or Fearless F112 would be my suggestion.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The FRFR (aka PA speaker cab) crew may be along shortly with some recommendations which might provide a better combination of quality and price

Here I am 😁  Have a look at something like an RCF 710-A, which is small, loud, and about £325. It's a powered speaker i.e. it has a built-in power amp.  You can perhaps think of it as a neutral sonic canvas, able to supply all the lows and highs you'd need. Then add a preamp pedal of your choice to provide any desired colour for the specific music style.  Myself I use headphones at home; but on the gig I prefer using powered speakers to my previous Barefaced rig, and as a nice bonus it saves some money too.

• Like 1

I bought a Hartke 112 a few years ago, looking for a one cab solution for playing live.

It wasn't loud enough for playing live but it does tick all of your boxes, as it definitely sizzles. even with the horn off it's very bright.

Secondhand they go for about £100.

• Like 1

My vote would go to this. A mate has one and its bloody loud and deep sounding when he uses it at home. Not sure I’d want to gig it without another, but two together come in at under a BF 1x12. Thinking of getting one myself when i sell my CN212 as I’m not gigging it and don’t plan to for now. 

https://ashdownmusic.com/collections/cabinets/products/20th-anniversary-112t-250-tweed