Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB 734A

EJWW

My review of the BB734A 

I'm not particularly keen on the fuss of active basses (I'm a P bass man at heart) but a local trade opportunity arose and so I have now become the owner of this 734A.

First impression once I'd lifted it from its exquisitely plush-lined Yamaha gig bag was the matte black finish of the body and neck.

If you look closely at you can actually see the wood grain and also the three sandwiched layers of alder and maple that comprise the body.

I just love everything about the look and finish of this bass, from the badge on the headstock to the unusual fingerboard inlays. The design is pure class.

At 4.2kg it is not light but balances very comfortably.

The neck feels quite chunky, like a P Bass, and the satin finish feels just lovely in your left hand.

Machine heads are dead solid and feel high quality, as does the bridge.

A full set-up was required. The neck was dead straight which resulted in notes clattering and buzzing at the lower end of the fingerboard. A smooth half turn anticlockwise with a 4mm allen key sorted that problem. The bridge saddles were squewiff and the screws weren't at the same level on each saddle, and the pickups were miles away from the strings. I needed to replace the foam rubber underneath both pickups in order to raise them to Yamaha's recommended height. Lastly I carefully tightened the screws on the bass, mid and treble knobs which were slightly loose and rattly and it was good to go.

I can't help wondering whether level of (un)playability caused by the condition I received it in influenced the previous owner's decision to get rid of it. If so what a shame!

On to the playing.

The neck pickup is really ballsy and does the P sound really well. In passive mode it sounds near perfect to me. With the active EQ you've got plenty of options but I honestly feel this is gilding the lily.

Once you pan towards the bridge pickup I think the EQ comes into its own and can fatten up the bridge pickup's output.

I can't wait to put it through its paces in a gig environment and find out if its a keeper. Its principal opposition is a 3.9kg Squier Matt Freeman P Bass which I bought last year as a back up bass and has since become my main instrument as a result of its all round excellence. 

So to summarise in one word- I think I like it 🤓

20201025_202731.jpg

20201025_202459.jpg

20201025_202652.jpg

20201025_202904.jpg

Edited by EJWW
Weight corrected
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I no longer have this bass having sold it to a fellow BCer.

My overall conclusion hasn't changed although I eventually decided that it was a little too sophisticated for my needs. Very well made and great hardware but surplus to requirements. 

If you fancy a P bass I would recommend a P bass. In fact I'm mainly playing a Squier CV 60s P bass at the moment and I simply can't fault it: it looks great, not heavy and really powerful pickup. Not felt the need to mod it at all.  Several hundred quid less than a second hand BB734A too. 

Ted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This is my main bass and I've found no neck diving issues!

I must admit, it sits in active mode but flat EQ for 99% of the time, along with the pup blend being 50/50. So, it's probably a bit sophisticated for my needs too. But it's very comfortable to play, and sounds what I want a bass to sound like on it's basic settings, so this will be my #1 for the foreseeable.