Why become a member? ×

Non-USB desk to Computer: best way to link?

Marvin

Quick newbie question.

What is the best way to plug a non-USB mixing desk (one of those little 6 or 8 track ones) into a computer? AND how do you do it so you can monitor it by using the headphones output on the desk (so you can hear what has been recorded already and what is going into the desk for the new track you want to record) ? 

Also I read somewhere, I didn't really understand it tbh, that, when you're recording a new track and monitor previous tracks using the headphones, it you don't route the signals properly you can effectively overdub what has already been recorded onto the new track????

I hope that makes sense.

1. You’ll need an interface. Welcome to GAS hell :)

2. There’s all sorts of stuff you can get wrong, but all sorts of ways you can learn to avoid it and back things up so that even if you do, it’s not terminal

Steep curve ahead, but a fun one with loads of info on this site :)

You'll need a USB interface, as mentioned above (lots of models for all budgets; Focusrite are popular...). You will not be able to listen with 'phones on the sedk to here what's been recorded; there'll be a headphone socket on the interface for that. As for overdubs and recording new tracks, that depends on what software you'll be using. Tell us what DAW you use and you'll get details on how to reduce the risk of error.
Hope this helps. B|

Get a 4 channel interface as a minimum.  2 channel interfaces are limited in terms of routing options. 

You then have various choices including 

Stereo output from desk into 2 channels of audio interface.

Route a pair of outputs to a separate headphone mixer amp

2 channels independent of mixer desk to record vocals, guitar, bass, keys direct 

As you can see, the shopping list gets big pretty quickly... 

On 25/10/2020 at 20:33, Dad3353 said:

You'll need a USB interface, as mentioned above (lots of models for all budgets; Focusrite are popular...). You will not be able to listen with 'phones on the sedk to here what's been recorded; there'll be a headphone socket on the interface for that. As for overdubs and recording new tracks, that depends on what software you'll be using. Tell us what DAW you use and you'll get details on how to reduce the risk of error.
Hope this helps. B|

Not entirely right depending on the mixer in question.

In fact using an external mixer along with a separate interface, to record and monitor with, is the most effective way of avoiding having to deal with latency. All my home recording has been done this way. However you will need one with more routing options than just stereo outputs, and maybe a bit of lateral thinking.

To the OP do you already have the mixer? If so what is it? Also how many separate non-mixed sources do you need to record at any one time?

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Not entirely right depending on the mixer in question.

In fact using an external mixer along with a separate interface, to record and monitor with, is the most effective way of avoiding having to deal with latency. All my home recording has been done this way. However you will need one with more routing options than just stereo outputs, and maybe a bit of lateral thinking.

To the OP do you already have the mixer? If so what is it? Also how many separate non-mixed sources do you need to record at any one time?

I haven't bought a mixer yet. I'd be only looking to record a maximum of 2 non-mixed sources at any one time.

This is the only piece of hardware I have at the moment that will connect an instrument to my computer, I've used it a few times to record on Garageband, that's it really.

1687824159_Screenshot2020-10-27at18_33_28.thumb.png.e3f428d1f71aafda2390cdf3df351b75.png

Edited by Marvin