Why become a member? ×

How do you decide whether you like a certain song, band, genre.....?

Beedster

I like what I like and don't really try to analyse it.

Familiarity has a lot to do with it both positive and negative. Having to learn how to play a lot of "classic" rock songs for my Dad Rock band many years ago has left me not wanting to ever listen to some of those songs again, despite that fact that I always had time for. them before. OtOH I find myself getting into music from my past that I didn't previously like because it has been seeped into my subconscious through films and TV programmes (and occasionally ads).

However as visual person image does have a lot to do with it. I grew up in an era when the best (IMO) rock and pop bands looked different, dangerous and exciting. and I find that I don't have time for artists who don't (or deliberately look like they don't) make an effort to project an alternative image to the mainstream. I most certainly don't like musicians with beards. No real reason other than I think they look scruffy. If you sport a beard your music needs to be significantly better that a similar band/artist that is clean shaven.

Also I can't stand unplugged/acoustic music. You can 100% blame my parents for this, as they put so many obstacles in my way to being able to own and play electric instruments, I will hate nearly all acoustic music forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

I heard the old Frankie Laine song ‘Answer me’ covered by a female singer many years ago, who I found out was a young Barbara Dickson.  It was an advance play of a single from her forthcoming LP (shows how long ago it was!).

I couldn’t wait to buy the album, and she’s been one of my favourite all time female singers ever since, even though I’m not too keen on her trad folk stuff, but that’s a genre thing.

+1 for Barbara Dickson. A superb voice IMHO, although wasn't keen on the 'Another suitcase...' type stuff.

'Answer me' was a great single, produced by Junior Campbell and featuring a wonderful pedal steel solo, I think by Sneaky Pete Kleinow from The Byrds / Burrito Brothers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Familiarity has a lot to do with it both positive and negative. Having to learn how to play a lot of "classic" rock songs for my Dad Rock band many years ago has left me not wanting to ever listen to some of those songs again, despite that fact that I always had time for. them before. OtOH I find myself getting into music from my past that I didn't previously like because it has been seeped into my subconscious through films and TV programmes (and occasionally ads).

However as visual person image does have a lot to do with it. I grew up in an era when the best (IMO) rock and pop bands looked different, dangerous and exciting. and I find that I don't have time for artists who don't (or deliberately look like they don't) make an effort to project an alternative image to the mainstream. I most certainly don't like musicians with beards. No real reason other than I think they look scruffy. If you sport a beard your music needs to be significantly better that a similar band/artist that is clean shaven.

Also I can't stand unplugged/acoustic music. You can 100% blame my parents for this, as they put so many obstacles in my way to being able to own and play electric instruments, I will hate nearly all acoustic music forever.

Does that go for women with beards as well?

• Haha 1

If it has a vocal.... can they sing? If they can't or their voice grates (to me) it's game over.

If it is purely instrumental..... does it stir something in me?

Do I get the feeling that the artist/writer has put effort into it/the arrangement/structure?

Do I feel a connection on some level (soul, tingling, excitement, emotion, energy)?

I don't want much.... just talent, effort and an intangible connection......

I've worked in local radio for decades (yes I'm old) and, before the days of emails and texts, used to present a record request show.  It gave me the chance to listen to a very wide variety of music.  Glen Miller, Matt Monro, Vera Lynn and Cliff Richard rubbed shoulders with Status Quo and the Rolling Stones.

As a result I think I have an appreciation for most genres of music - with the exception of really heavy metal and Rap.

One artist who was not on my radar was - wait for it - Barry Manilow.  I had the original recording of "Brandy" and when Bazza changed the name to "Mandy" it did not sit well with me.  Then I met my wife who is a huge Barry Manilow fan and she dragged me to several of his UK concerts.  The guy puts on a great show and I can now appreciate what a skilled song writer he is.  Incidentally, being one of a hand full of blokes in an auditorium full of screaming women is an experience not easily forgotten!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

ZZ Top haven’t got a chance 😀

3 minutes ago, steantval said:

ZZ Top haven’t got a chance 😀

Strangely enough ZZ Top's beards are so ridiculously over the top that they negate my "no beards" rule. However that only applies to the days when Mr Beard himself was clean shaven. Since he went a grew himself a pathetically crap beard, I've lost interest in their music 🙂

11 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I most certainly don't like musicians with beards. No real reason other than I think they look scruffy. If you sport a beard your music needs to be significantly better that a similar band/artist that is clean shaven.

I kinda get where you're coming from but in my case it's soy boy bands and singists. If someone has the look of a soy boy my automatic assumption is the music they make is as soft as sh1t3. And it always is so my instinct is bang on 👌

As for acoustic music, for me the musicianship has got to be top notch otherwise any c@ck in the songs is laid bare. This is why musicians of modest skills (e.g. Nirvana) sound pants unplugged.

Edited by Barking Spiders

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Strangely enough ZZ Top's beards are so ridiculously over the top that they negate my "no beards" rule. However that only applies to the days when Mr Beard himself was clean shaven. Since he went a grew himself a pathetically crap beard, I've lost interest in their music 🙂

Poor old Leland, no chance.

5824CD1F-0606-45FA-91A0-F06600030C52.jpeg

• Haha 1

I tend to have some sort of reaction straight away, not let me down yet.

Hearing Philip Glass when I watched Candyman for the first time? Instant yum, hunted down more. Similar reaction when I heard Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint.

Babymetal's Gimme Chocolate - whole lot of fun, some quality thrash riffing.

I don't particularly enjoy most country (although Dolly Parton is one of the finest songwriters ever) and to my ears, some 90% of rock and metal is frankly boring.

I listened to the Yes Album once and I knew it wasn't for me. An album of merit and worth? Certainly! Something I enjoy? Afraid not.

All of which is to say, I listen to something and if it tickles my pickle then it's in! If I feel nothing then it's not for me. If I feel ambivalent then it may be something I stumble across again another time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dapper Bandit said:

Hearing Philip Glass when I watched Candyman for the first time? Instant yum, hunted down more. Similar reaction when I heard Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint.

I had the same response instantly to both these composers when I first heard their work.

14 hours ago, Dapper Bandit said:

Hearing Philip Glass

Ha! That reminds me of my stupidest of all stupid ways of deciding whether I like something:
As a boy aged 12, I saw a record cover and pestered my parents to buy the LP for me. They were naysayers of course, but i proudly stated: "Trust me", and they indulged me, doubtingly.
I was right. Lurved the music, some electronic stuff by a guy called André Boucourechliev.

Many years later I saw a poster advertising the "Dance" performance by Philip Glass and Lucinda Childs. Remembering my earlier success with the LP cover, I bought tickets instantly. I just knew this was for me. Bulls eye again.

Don't try this at home, folks. 😀 (Go to the record store of the concert hall instead.)

Edit:
Oh, for reference purposes:

v1oEdNG.jpg

dU5YGwd.jpg

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I kinda get where you're coming from but in my case it's soy boy bands and singists. If someone has the look of a soy boy my automatic assumption is the music they make is as soft as sh1t3. And it always is so my instinct is bang on 👌

As for acoustic music, for me the musicianship has got to be top notch otherwise any c@ck in the songs is laid bare. This is why musicians of modest skills (e.g. Nirvana) sound pants unplugged.

What the hell is a soy boy?😂

On 25/10/2020 at 21:38, Nail Soup said:

It's all in the name. If the band has a cool name, then I will like them.

OK, serious answer time.

When I first fell in love with music, I was quite tribal about it. So mainly listed to music in my genre (punk, new wave, post-punk)

Over the years it has naturally expanded to all sorts of genres so now I enjoy soul, blues folk, metal and so on.

There's still a bunch od stuff I don't like, so I think that is what I really don't like rathe than just prejudice.

Problem is that there is so much I like that I don't have time to dig too deep into all the different types of music. But I get by 🙂!

• Like 1

[Mod's Hat On]

We're not over-fond of pejorative expressions of the like, and aggressive posting even less so. Please keep to more moderate terms, and leave the insults elsewhere (or forget them altogether; they're puerile...). Thanks in advance.

[/Mod's Hat On]

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 09:49, BigRedX said:

I most certainly don't like musicians with beards. No real reason other than I think they look scruffy. If you sport a beard your music needs to be significantly better that a similar band/artist that is clean shaven.

Surely you don't listen to music with your eyes.

• Like 2

But, yeah...I DON'T DECIDE. It's in the brain wiring for me. ("This Is Your Brain On Music" - Dan Levitin -). And at 62 I really have a hard time with stuff I used to enjoy. Don't know why...I'm bored easily these days. And yet there's stuff I can listen to FOREVER. OVER AND OVER. And I love my own music on Stick even if it's boring to anyone and everyone else. I have no filter for my own music. Maybe Dan Levitin needs to write another book. 

For me, my switch gets flicked when I want to dig a little deeper - learning a rhythmical lyrical phrase, being on time to tap along to some interesting rhythmic sting, or harmony line - and obviously if the bass does something interesting. 

I've even managed to let go and accept 4-chord-loop-pop and occasionally find something interesting there. 

I do like learning the story behind things, and I'm enjoying chart-grime, partly because I know it's new-ish and uniquely British. There's a bunch of research on stories effecting how valuable we perceive something to be, so I'm aware of the bias, but when there's levels to something, it just captures my imagination. 

On 26/10/2020 at 09:49, BigRedX said:

I most certainly don't like musicians with beards. No real reason other than I think they look scruffy. 

As a musician with a beard, I'm just going to point at this and laugh derisively. :D

One I just remembered:
Predictive listening, and then getting frustrated or enthusiastic.

As an example: "One of Us" by Joan Osborne.
When she sings "What if God was one of us" and repeats those notes in "Just a slob like one of us", everything is dandy.
But then she starts with the same notes on "Just a stranger..." and, fearing another repetition, I'm drawn into the mindset of OH, NO! DON'T GO THERE!, but she (IMHO wonderfully) solves this with the slow notes on "on the bus" and with the linking to the next bit "Trying to make his way home".
What could have totally ruined a song for me, is instead turned into a glorious musical moment.

Similarly, where both Bach and Vivaldi set up some framework, and I predict trouble ahead and go into DON'T GO THERE! mode, then Vivaldi will immediately and way too fast hurry back to the original key, obviously not knowing how to get out of trouble, whilst Bach then comes up with a gloriously mind-exploding thing that goes even deeper.
This is one bit of why IMHO Bach is a fantastic composer and Vivaldi is...  er...  not.

I've never heard someone talking about this type of listening outside the classical music and jazz realms, but by definition, predictive listening exists everywhere and is part of our shared musical experience.
Just take  " I, IV, V, I "  as an example.

Do you recognise the OH, NO! DON'T GO THERE mode?

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1