Why become a member? ×

Vox Teardrop Bass Bill Wyman

No. 8 Wire

My mate’s Dad used to say the bass sound on the Nice was like something you got free in a Christmas cracker. Lee Jackson was a great player but imagine what he would’ve sounded like if he’d used a Fender bass? He was left handed and probably used the Vox because it looked okay upside down. A bit like why Macca chose his Hofner. He now uses a Ric. 

7D03286A-3D06-4A10-B725-515048A20302.jpeg

179F0A32-2B00-4B29-9896-1E3048B3E8DA.jpeg

Edited by ash
  • Like 1

Benjamin Orr of The Cars was also regularly seen with one (swapping between the Vox and a MM Stingray when playing live - you could hardly imagine two more dissimilar basses......)

I have a mid-‘60’s English made Vox Wyman bass  - VERY much nicer than the slightly later Italian made models.   Have to admit I rarely gig it due the short scale and incredibly skinny neck.   But they are amazingly cool basses, with a surprisingly “big” sound.

8D1A65E7-4903-41F7-B80D-480C075E53B8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 25/10/2020 at 20:27, songofthewind said:

I remember seeing The Nice, with Lee Jackson playing one of the original versions of these. I was totally obsessed with it. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. GLWTS.

First gig I went to was the nice at Bournemouth winter gardens. He had such a distinctive sound. They did about 6 encores whilst my dad waited in the car...

On 26/10/2020 at 21:18, ash said:

My mate’s Dad used to say the bass sound on the Nice was like something you got free in a Christmas cracker. Lee Jackson was a great player but imagine what he would’ve sounded like if he’d used a Fender bass?

If I remember rightly, it did sound very plunka-plunka-plunka. Rubber band like. I forgot he was a lefty. Glad to hear he's still playing.

• Haha 1