Why become a member? ×

ABM 600 Evo rattling - Fixed!

jimmy23cricket

So, bought a B-Stock one of these at the beginning of the year. Love it.

however

Since I owned it, the head rattles with certain frequencies, and it doesn’t matter what volume. I’m fact, it gets worse the louder it gets. I have already sent it back because the fans developed a fault, that’s sorted but the bastarding rattle is still there (even though I mentioned this when returning it)

I have had the amp out the sleeve, and I think I can trace it to the 2 cooling radiator type structures behind the fans.

Does anyone else who owns these experience the same? 

I can’t handle amps or cabs that have mechanical noise 😫

Edited by jimmy23cricket

Whatever the noise is coming from it can't rattle unless it's being vibrated. The source of that vibration would likely be the cab, which would only vibrate if insufficiently braced inside. I'd fix that, because cab panels that vibrate result in a loss of acoustical output. If you want to settle for fixing the symptom rather than the cause a piece of yoga mat foam between the cab and amp should do the trick.

• Like 1

Literally this week I've fixed my rm500 which was rattling. It sounded like a clicking from the power supply when in straight. Pull the lead slightly away and it eased off. Drove me mad.

Had a look at all the screws to see what was loose and none looked to be. But I tightened them anyway and that solved it.

That's weird. Amps parts resonating to specific notes tends not to happen with amps, as the parts are too small relative to the wavelengths involved. If it was mine I'd take it out of the case and remove the cover, then send it a signal from a sine wave generator, sweeping the frequency until the rattling is heard. Then I'd use high temperature silicone sealant to stabilize whatever is vibrating.

• 1 month later...

So, kudos to Andertons. Sent my amp back under warranty (for the second time) and their supplier said I can have a brand new one! 

So, a brand new (non rattling) ABM 600 arrived this morning in the post. Very happy.

I like the newer colour scheme and curly font. 

Strange thing though, this one doesn’t seem to have as much “Oomph” on tap as the old one. Have to have the gain right up and volume around 9 o’clock to start getting some air moving where the old one   started pumping with both dials around 6.

Not a major stress as I can drive the input a bit more with a pedal.

same great tone though....🤟

• Like 1

I recently bought a B-Stock one of these, sadly with all that’s going on not been able to use it at any kind of volume. Just hoping that once I do it’s ok - still, Ashdown just an hour away so worst comes to the worst, I have to buy them a packet of biscuits to get it through their door.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a polished stainless steel front rack mounted ABM600 and it was monstrously powerful. So much so that it was wasted on the gigs I was playing in the good old days (2019 and before). They're definitely amps that you should dial in using your ears (not literally) as some rather odd looking settings gave me the best sounds. They are also the most flexible heads out there with just about every feature (apart from a tuner and a HPF) you'll need.