Why become a member? ×

I just love listening to people who can sing.

leftybassman392

I just absolutely adore this band and Hannah's vocals are gorgeous on everything they do.

I love Sara Bareilles's vocals, they are just so smooth and effortless.

Both of these girls have beautiful voices but the second girl, Eabha McMahon's voice is gorgeous.

What a voice. Not heard him do anything else but just amazing on this performance.

A couple more singer's who's voices I love,

Finally, the one that probably gives me the biggest goosebumps.

• Like 2

Rufus Wainwright's own albums are well worth checking out and I did post one or two numbers earlier in this thread. But he's also done some excellent covers (including the Sting number posted above). Here's his version of this classic Fairport Convention song.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stingray5 said:

Rufus Wainwright's own albums are well worth checking out and I did post one or two numbers earlier in this thread. But he's also done some excellent covers (including the Sting number posted above). Here's his version of this classic Fairport Convention song.

That's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing @Stingray5

• Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 21:22, rubis said:

Always thought Ann Wilson was one of the best, but watch how she slays Robert Plant at the "to be a rock and not to roll" bit

Wow! 

That is unbelievably brilliant.. 

One of the biggest songs ever, amazing band and choir making the most incredible sound, and as if that weren't enough, having to perform it in front of Zeppelin themselves.. 

But she absolutely smashes it.. 

Wow! 👏👏👏

• Like 2

On 08/11/2020 at 21:14, Frank Blank said:

Great choice @Frank Blank

I'd never heard of Judee Sill until the brilliant Laura Viers wrote a great song about her a few years ago ('Song for Judee' ). 

'The Kiss' by Judee Sill is one of the most beautiful and profound songs I've ever heard, yet sadly, its almost unknown. 

Anyway - great choice! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/10/2020 at 12:22, leftybassman392 said:

Picking up @Steve Browning's Voces8 theme, here's them singing a tune that LOTR fans will know. Written and performed originally by Enya.

...and while I'm here, how we got this far without anything from Eva Cassidy is not something I understand. Terminally ill when she sang this, which IMHO adds an extra poignancy to the performance

Stunning... 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Great choice @Frank Blank

I'd never heard of Judee Sill until the brilliant Laura Viers wrote a great song about her a few years ago ('Song for Judee' ). 

'The Kiss' by Judee Sill is one of the most beautiful and profound songs I've ever heard, yet sadly, its almost unknown. 

Anyway - great choice! 

The Kiss, recorded live for The Old Grey Whistle Test is very moving. Judee Sill had a short tragic life.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MGBrown said:

The Kiss, recorded live for The Old Grey Whistle Test is very moving. Judee Sill had a short tragic life.

Just looked her up, having never heard of her before. What a tragic tale, but yes, what a beautiful voice. Here's that OGWT clip.

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 12:51, Steve Browning said:

As much about the juxtaposition of the setting as anything else.

They aren't bad, but there are dozens, hundreds even, of students in music colleges up and down the country who could do better without raising a sweat. Can we make a distinction between "singers" and "vocalists" please? Because Pavarotti is the only really great singer anyone has mentioned so far... (ducks and runs)

19 hours ago, Bunion said:

Not sure if this has been put up already. 
I’m not really into his style of music usually but he was smoking this day. I love the backing singers at around 2:57 too they are almost ethereal 

Very soulful. So intense I'd had enough before the end of the song!

1 hour ago, MGBrown said:

Very soulful. So intense I'd had enough before the end of the song!

I think a lot of political or other subjects close to the heart of the singer feel that way. The intensity can be overwhelming. 
maybe apt in the times we are living in...

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

Another one from Judee Sill. I first heard this back in the 70's, her one and only 'hit' single, and immediately bought the album (I recommend "Heart Food"). I was already sold on Joni Mitchell, CSN&Y and most of the rest of the Laurel Canyon crowd so this was right up my street.

Edited by Stingray5
typo fix
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread after an interregnum of a few months.

Contributors to this thread may remember that I have (among many other failings!) a weakness for good ensemble singing. A few days ago I found these guys while meandering my way through some Youtube vids. 2 songs from them, but before you listen, you need to bear in mind that, aside from a bit of FX at the start of each song, every sound you hear is made by a human voice (Note: I've posted some of this stuff on another thread, so apologies if you've heard it already) :

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 2

I'm with the OP regarding ensemble singing, especially when it's A Capella. From the Hi-Lo's and Singers Unlimited to Take 6 and beyond. Also, as a Beach Boys fan, I wanted to submit the genius (imho) that is Brian Wilson and the short track "Our Prayer" from the brilliant album (again, imho), "Smile". However, I couldn't resist posting the full opening sequence from the album to include "Heroes & Villains". Prog-Pop anyone? ;) 

• Like 1

Here's another take on a Brian Wilson song. Line up on this track is Shelby Flint - vocals; Tim Weston - guitar; Jimmy Haslip - bass; Pete Erskine - drums; Mitch Forman - keys; Luis Conte - percussion. (I highly recommend the album, too, which also includes Abe Laboriel, Larry Carlton, Steve Khan, The Yellowjackets and others).

• Like 1

I hope folk will forgive me for pressing the point on this, but I just can't seem to get past these guys ATM!

Ok, so it's a studio take with extra layering and production (so it wouldn't sound quite the same in live performance), but even so...

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

I hope folk will forgive me for pressing the point on this, but I just can't seem to get past these guys ATM!

Ok, so it's a studio take with extra layering and production (so it wouldn't sound quite the same in live performance), but even so...

I meant to say I was already sold on these guys. Top notch! :) 

• Thanks 1