Why become a member? ×

I just love listening to people who can sing.

leftybassman392

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have never listened to Alison Krauss. I particularly like the very close and often dissonant harmonies between Gillian Welch & David Rawlings and the dissonance in the latter’s guitar playing.

Country music is a bit of a minority interest on this side of the pond I think, but the thread is more about the singing than the style and the simple fact is that the top country singers are as good as anybody in the business.

3 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Country music is a bit of a minority interest on this side of the pond I think, but the thread is more about the singing than the style and the simple fact is that the top country singers are as good as anybody in the business.

Oh I couldn’t agree more, I not only ignored country music but I would openly mock it too, until I stopped being an idiot and actually listened to some. Now I’d give up most of the stuff I listened to as a teenager just to listen to Jolene!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I first heard Lala Hathaway on Marcus Miller’s ‘live and more’ album, where she delivers a jaw-dropping rendition of ‘Summertime’. I was listening to the album at a friend’s house (who is a singing teacher) and she spotted it first. Suffice to say she’s been on my playlist since!

Devin Townsend is an amazing vocalist too, and I really rate Maynard James Keenan from Tool - he’s got quite a set of pipes on him too.

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Folks! 

Great thread.  👍😊

Thought I'd add a few of my favourite singers/singing for you... 

Can't believe this man hasn't been mentioned yet... 

No words, just pure emotion and some of the most beautiful chords ever IMHO... 

And some gorgeous harmonies to finish with... 

Have a fab Xmas day! 

• Like 4

On 25/10/2020 at 11:52, leftybassman392 said:

A thread that celebrates the talent of people who can actually sing. . . .

Sadly no video, but we were queuing at Universal, in Orlando, and about a dozen black teenage school girls, joined the queue behind us. They were very loud, happy and boisterous, then they started singing. Wow, I've never heard such great voices. The hairs on my arms stood up. They were like a hip hop gospel choir. I could have stood there all day listening to those girls.

• Like 3

On 25/10/2020 at 20:19, Ricky 4000 said:

Hairs stand up on the back of the neck performance! ^^^^^^^ ❤️

She is amazing isn't she? Had the privilege of being in the audience for that same song a couple of years back. More raw and visceral than on her appearance on Jools.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

She is amazing isn't she? Had the privilege of being in the audience for that same song a couple of years back. More raw and visceral than on her appearance on Jools.

Couldn't agree more with you both about Imelda May.. 

I remember seeing that performance on Jools a few years back and it was absolutely spellbinding! 

We were lucky enough too get to see her 7 months later at the Latitude Festival and she was brilliant, as was her band. 

But as vocalists go from around this part of the world in this era, she's right up there IMHO. 

• Like 2