Why become a member? ×

I just love listening to people who can sing.

leftybassman392

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I do love people who can sing, but it's not everything. I'll explain.

About 20% of the music I love features someone who would be considered as being able to sing well.

About 40% features someone who would be considered as not being able to sing, but I think is a great singer.... Bob Dylan, The Fall, Sex Pistols etc.

About 40% I love but the singer is neither here nor there.. they deliver the song OK, but it's the overall package I love. A well known example of this (but not from my love list) is New Order. Ask a hardcore New Order fan what they love about NO and they won't say "Barney's Voice"

But in the spirit of the thread here is a fantastic vocal performance:

^ This.

Although I'm a huge fan of a great voice I'm also a fan of Dylan, Elvis Costello, and Ian Dury, Shane MacGowan among others - none of whom would rightfully appear on this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I do love people who can sing, but it's not everything. I'll explain.

About 20% of the music I love features someone who would be considered as being able to sing well.

About 40% features someone who would be considered as not being able to sing, but I think is a great singer.... Bob Dylan, The Fall, Sex Pistols etc.

About 40% I love but the singer is neither here nor there.. 

That’s absolutely fine with me. I never said I didn’t like such music. I could quote plenty of singers I don’t consider good singers but whose music I like anyway. As examples, Dylan and Yorke spring to mind (not to mention any number of old-school blues shouters).

That said, this thread is for people who are good singers. As I said up top, style and content are less important than technical and expressive skill (in this thread at least). The quality and variety of music on offer here is, I hope, a vindication of that brief.

:)

• Like 2

On 26/10/2020 at 12:48, 4000 said:

Have to respectfully disagree. CD is the melancholy song for me, and much, much prefer the M&Ps version. In fact I don’t really like the JP version, if I’m honest.

Sorry, didn't get a notification for this reply.

Agree that CD is the melancholy song, and I guess the original treatment is meant in an ironic way; all jangly and bright. I thought the Phillips version brought a new, more obvious sadness to the piece, but obviously not for everyone. That's why I love chatting about this stuff.

For me, while a fantastic voice isn't the be all and end of of what makes a great song, I often hear tunes with great melody, instrumentation and production let down by a vocal which grates. Fr'instance I think I'd have a lot more time for Led Zeppelin were it not for Plant's frequent shrieks and wailing.  Closer to home I'm big into 90s-early 00s trance. However, often there were great club bangers that were let down by thin girly vocals warbling repetitive cliches. Kinda the same for trip hop . A lot of acts that came after Massive Attack and Portishead had some good ideas and execution only to be marred by mostly weak or nondescript vocals, usually female

Edited by Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Get your hankies ready!!

Well I liked it! :lol:

Beautifully produced too. A touch too much bass (and could have cut back a smidge on the reverb as well - unless of course it's the room they were in, in which case as you were) if I'm being hypercritical, but other than that a lovely rendition from a fine ensemble.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

Picking up @Steve Browning's Voces8 theme, here's them singing a tune that LOTR fans will know. Written and performed originally by Enya.

...and while I'm here, how we got this far without anything from Eva Cassidy is not something I understand. Terminally ill when she sang this, which IMHO adds an extra poignancy to the performance

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first Laura Mvula album is a record well worth checking out for sublime vocal performances...

I was properly taken aback when I first heard it. Not just for her vocals, but also the quality and originality of the songs. 

With most albums I think you can see how a song was probably written - i.e. around a guitar, piano, beat etc. - but on the above album it was a mystery. To me, any road! 

Definitely worth a listen...

• Like 1

I'd heard a few Arlo Parks tunes on the radio, all very polished musical accompaniment with highly processed vocals in a similar vein to Billie Eilish, so I was quite surprised to come across this strip backed live set and discover that behind the processing is a very pleasant natural voice.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

The first Laura Mvula album is a record well worth checking out for sublime vocal performances...

I was properly taken aback when I first heard it. Not just for her vocals, but also the quality and originality of the songs. 

With most albums I think you can see how a song was probably written - i.e. around a guitar, piano, beat etc. - but on the above album it was a mystery. To me, any road! 

Definitely worth a listen...

Fancy posting something? Or recommend a song that I can go look for?

Most of the music I listen to these days is instrumental as I seem to have grown less tolerant of dodgy lyrics as I've grown older. Although I've just blown the dust of the Temple of the Dog album  and man, Chris Cornell was the bomb!

As an aside, one of my favourite moments of recording is listening to the singer in isolation. With a good singer you really get a sense of the power of the voice and how much of an instrument it truly is,

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

I'm not the least bit religious but Mrs J took me to see Hrry Christopher Sixteen in Cambridge (think it was St John's Chapel). it was quite an extraordinary experience that I'll never forget.

This is lovely.

Full blown atheist here, and yet I can get profoundly moved by the sound of choral music. Mozart Grand Mass in Cm is a big favourite. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, steantval said:

Alison Moyet, loads of tracks to choose from, this one is stunning.

Love that album. Went to see her a while ago and she came on stage and announced she wouldn’t “doing any of that old sh*t”.

So i listened to 4 songs, and went to a nearby pub instead.

I stumbled upon this the other day.  Totally not my thing but, well, Maddy Prior.  In the comments someone says her voice is like a laser.

Mrs S and I are followers of Go West.  I've probably seen them live more than any other band.  Peter Cox has the most remarkable quality about his voice, especially live.  Aided, I suspect, by the fact that he reaches the high notes using his eyebrows.  This is one of their lesser known tunes, a far cry from the vest and monkey wrench early stuff.

• Like 1