Why become a member? ×

I just love listening to people who can sing.

leftybassman392

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

In Rolling Stone's 100 greatest vocalists Karen C is down at 94 which is utterly ludicrous, below the likes of Morrissey, Thom Yorke and Joe Strummer. And Art Garfunkel at 86! In a poll of sensible people that don't have cloth in their ears, those two are all time top 10.

That's polls for you! There is no way you can 'rate' music in my book.

Going to add Dan McAfferty to the list - OK, this is a self indulgent clip (I was involved in the production) but for a guy late in his career, and with absolutely no fixing after the filming, and a heavy night the night before, he could still produce this type of performance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I think she is mentioned earlier on.

Yep I didn't notice when scrolling through so have amended the post. Anyway. I just 'kin love this tune and that's mainly due to the vocal by Sharon Musgrave. It gets me every time. Another all time fave is this debut by The Christians . Why they never got to be big still flummoxes. Maybe because it's they could sing?

Ditto this beaut from Londonbeat

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, upside downer said:

These two are great.

Huge +1.

I’m much more of a fan of great harmony vocals than ‘great’ solo singers, for the most part, and where I do love solo singers I tend to prefer those who simply sing a melody well (people like Sandy Denny, Karen Carpenter), rather than vocal gymnasts or belters. 

Simon and Garfunkel have already been mentioned (early favourites), But I don’t think either of these have:

All my favourite singers are female.  Karen Carpenter and Sandy Denny have already been mentioned and I could fill a page with more.

There are some singers who may not have the purest voices but can deliver a song well.  Nanci Griffith would not be placed in the top ten best female vocalists for the quality of her voice, but she can put much emotion into a song.  Louis Armstrong's voice is far from perfect but his recording of "What A Wonderful World" is the one by which all others are judged.

I love Trisha Yearwood's voice.  She could sing her shopping list and I would listen to it!  "The Song Remembers When" is just a perfect song.

21 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Huge +1.

I’m much more of a fan of great harmony vocals than ‘great’ solo singers, for the most part, and where I do love solo singers I tend to prefer those who simply sing a melody well (people like Sandy Denny, Karen Carpenter), rather than vocal gymnasts or belters. 

Simon and Garfunkel have already been mentioned (early favourites), But I don’t think either of these have:

Fabulous voices and a great song. However, the melancholy doesn't really come across in the M&P version quite like it does in a much later version that John Phillips made.

Sorry, ever so slightly off topic but I just LOVE talking about and sharing music!

Edited by Mykesbass

3 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Fabulous voices and a great song. However, the melancholy doesn't really come across in the M&P version quite like it does in a much later version that John Phillips made.

Have to respectfully disagree. CD is the melancholy song for me, and much, much prefer the M&Ps version. In fact I don’t really like the JP version, if I’m honest.

Edited by 4000

Time for another one from me. I'm also a fan of the female voice. I've done a lot of work with a succession of very talented young female singers over the years. Acoustic guitar-and-vocal duets remain one of my favourite formats.

Not quite a duet (and one of the cheesier songs in the repertoire), but close enough:

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

And while I'm hogging this thread, two very different styles from the one amazing singer, Al Jarreau - one his vocal reworking of the Chick Corea classic, the other one of the most out and out, cheesy pop songs ever. I love both!

AJ is one of my favourite all time vocalists. (I love the live version with Steve Gadd).

• Like 2