Why become a member? ×

I just love listening to people who can sing.

leftybassman392

+ 1 for Simon & Garfunkel and Hall & Oates. Sounds of Silence and Bridge Over are classic examples of S & G's harmonies being bang on the money. Viz H & O, tracks like Out of Touch and She's Gone are  have equally great vocal performances. Then there are the classic soul singers like Marvin Gaye. No question there which leads me to this, which even tops Otis Redding..

In rock for my money no one can touch Mike Patton, especially in Faith No More. His range and versatility are something else

Finally my fave pop cutie, Sigrid. She's just great. End of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Both great voices, Ray just wins for me but it's a close call.

The song isn't too shabby either of course.....

Me too, but nobody outshines Willie on his version of Stardust from the same album:

Going to have this as a rather wonderful earworm for the rest of the day!

• Like 1

I first heard this guy when I was about 7 and even at that age was blown away by his tone and range. Took me a further 30+ years to find a copy of the record this was on 🙂  Worth listening all the way through (or jump to 2.20 onwards).

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 2

I've always been a huge fan of male tenor voices.

Steve Perry (Journey) is really THE "be all and end all" in emotive, soulful rock voices for me. Noone comes close. Here he is 'live' back in 1981:

Here he is, at his soulful, smoothest:

My other fave is Peter Cetera, here with the equally fab Amy Grant in the mid 80's:

....and back with Chicago (in the studio) in the mid 70's:

• Like 5

The Alan Parsons Project have had some amazing guest vocalists. This is my fave track with the beautiful tones of the late Chris Rainbow:

And of course, who could forget the emotive Colin Blunstone on the haunting 'Old & Wise':

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cetera said:

The Alan Parsons project have had some amazing guest vocalists. 

Good call - some times the guest vocalists in other 'project' style bands are some of the finest. Chris Thompson is another good example. This later APP track, not an example of Chris' very best, but ties in with the thread.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cetera said:

The Alan Parsons Project have had some amazing guest vocalists. This is my fave track with the beautiful tones of the late Chris Rainbow:

Ah, Chris Rainbow/ Harley- an old pal of mine, sadly missed. 
He’d have been really chuffed to have been given a shout on a thread like this. 
Thanks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

Ah, Chris Rainbow/ Harley- an old pal of mine, sadly missed. 
He’d have been really chuffed to have been given a shout on a thread like this. 
Thanks.

His vocal stylings were amazing.... the 'Beach Boys' style harmonies he did.... and the jingle stuff he did on the radio back in the day were quite something. A huge talent sorely missed. Sorry for your loss but what wonderful memories, to have known him...

• Like 1

Rolling Stone have a 100 greatest vocalists where Karen C is down at 94 which is utterly ludicrous, below the likes of Morrissey, Thom Yorke and Joe Strummer. And Art Garfunkel at 86! In a poll of sensible people that don't have cloth in their ears, those two are all time top 10.

Have a butchers at this list. It's even more nuts than best guitar player polls

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-147019/mary-j-blige-4-35089/

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Confused 1

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

Actually, here's someone I'm surprised that's not been mentioned

In Rolling Stone's 100 greatest vocalists Karen C is down at 94 which is utterly ludicrous, below the likes of Morrissey, Thom Yorke and Joe Strummer. And Art Garfunkel at 86! In a poll of sensible people that don't have cloth in their ears, those two are all time top 10.

I think she is mentioned earlier on.

• Like 1