Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 DI-2112...anyone tried one yet?

NancyJohnson

Although I'd identify as a bit of a whore for Tech 21 kit, I'm presently down to a single unit (the dUg) and admit that I do still feel somewhat let down by their aftercare following the failure of the rack GED-2112.

Due to inactivity caused by the virus, I've been playing less, but the newish DI-2112 has picqued my interest, but at £400 I'm unsure whether I can justify pulling the trigger on this, given the dUg does everything I want, given I previously described this unit as being like the GED on steroids.

Anyone bought one?

• 2 months later...
On 26/12/2020 at 20:35, Billy Apple said:

Anyone got this?

Yes, Christmas present from wifey.

I have spent a few hours with it, trying to get the tone I want on its own and interacting with the other pedals on my board but I'm not there yet.

Due to the lockdown I haven't been to a rehearsal studio to play through a rig at decent levels so I haven't come to any conclusions yet but...

There are 2 channels.  The 'deep' channel has a pre baked in Geddy eq with just level and saturation adjustments available.  This appears to be a drop at 80Hz and a bump at 400 Hz ish.  I'm not certain as I've been fiddling with the levels on the 2nd channel 'drive' to try to replicate the deep channel and the above alterations get me close, but I am playing this through an Elf, which has a baked in slight mid scoop when the eq is flat.

The 'drive' channel has a very useful parametric mid shift (from 170 Hz to 3Khz).

So far the best tone I have got has been with a blend of the two channels but it is early days yet.

I'll post in the pedal board section too, with comments about how the other pedals on the board interact with it.

IMG_0119.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 31/12/2020 at 10:56, BillyBass said:

There are 2 channels.  

Just sniffing around for an update here.  Apparently the two channels can be blended; there's a toggle switch inside the unit that can be accessed inside via one of the battery boxes (it's under/behind the fascia and located next to the 'mute' button).  I suppose this works like the jumper thing on the rack unit.

5 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

The toggle switch can be used to combine the channels. On the newer units there is a mix output on the Drive channel. If you only use that one output the channels are automatically combined.

Belter!  Thank you.

Now then, how do Basschat users wangle some discount? ;)

On 07/06/2021 at 11:51, NancyJohnson said:

Just sniffing around for an update here.  Apparently the two channels can be blended; there's a toggle switch inside the unit that can be accessed inside via one of the battery boxes (it's under/behind the fascia and located next to the 'mute' button).  I suppose this works like the jumper thing on the rack unit.

You pull out the plastic battery cover and poke your finger in.  There is a button to press, directly under where it should be had they included it as a button pin the top, next to the mute button.  It's straightforward.

On 07/06/2021 at 14:22, Tech21NYC said:

The toggle switch can be used to combine the channels. On the newer units there is a mix output on the Drive channel. If you only use that one output the channels are automatically combined.

Really, I've not heard of this.

I got this about a month before Christmas as Bax Music were doing a deal on them.  The deal seems to be over now, unfortunately.

I find using this with the 'Tight'; button engaged really improves the sound through my MarkBass amp, which I'm realising is a bit too dark.