Baloney Balderdash

Looking for a cheap fretless short scale bass?

So it seems like there are not a lot of short scale fretless basses around, but if I can find a decent one within my budget limit I sort of ponder on buying one in the near future.

I'll like it to be max 30" scale length, preferably be a 4 string, and my budget limit would be about 400£, but I'd prefer cheaper, as long as it is still decent (I would suspect a pickup upgrade down the line being necessary anyway in this kind of price class).

Does such a bass exist?

All suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I defretted a a J&D mini Jazz bass, and that worked pretty well; you could (or have done by somebody else) the same thing to any of the many available short scale basses; or commission a builder to make you a replacement fretless neck for one, find the instrument that you like in fretted form first and then either defret or make a replacement neck

Edited by Aidan63
spelling

11 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I'll like it to be max 30" scale length ...

You'll be struggling if you try to find anything shorter than that!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FEND3R
      1990 Fender Custom shop fretless Jazz Bass. As you can expect from a John Page era custom shop bass – a superb instrument and the earliest Fender fretless jazz bass that I have seen from Fender (please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I have not seen anything else before the 1991 CS Jaco reissue).
      As one can expect the bass has been played a lot and shows a lot of dings and dongs, patina on the hardware, etc., but is all original and in perfect functional condition: straight neck with more place in the truss rod to adjust (it is not maxed out), all electronics and hardware work accordingly, action can be set very nice and low. The bass is superbly responsive, resonates extremely well with great dynamics and the harmonics are just amazing – it both sings and does the “mwah” just as well. I have not made any attempts to renew the hardware (remove the patina), because IMHO it gives it character, but if you wish my bass tech can do that prior to shipping. Width at nut is 38mm and the bass weights 4,07kg. according to my home scale. It comes with a black tolex case, probably not original.
      More detailed pictures can be found here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzum76RP3hJfic3s5
      Why am I selling it if its such a great bass – I am letting go a part of my collection and keeping only the vintage precisions. The asking price is what it costed me, so am not very keen on discounts. No trades, I am afraid, unless it is a well played pre-1974 precision or recent B-15. Also, if you purchase it and do not find yourself to like it – I can take it back as long as you cover the shipping and payment fees.
      Any questions – please, feel free to ask. Price includes shipping to most parts of EU.  
      You can check my feedback here : 

• By FEND3R
      1983 Squire JV Precision bass, candy apple red, rosewood board. All original domestic JV, alder body, relatively light – 3,9kg. As one can expect the bass has been played a lot and shows some dings and dongs here and there, patina on the hardware, etc., but is all original and in more than perfect functional condition: neck is straight as an arrow with minimal truss rod tension (it has a loooot more room to go), also the neck is extremely comfortable at 42mm at the nut and the playability is to die for – out of 12 precisions that I possess incl. very nice vintage fenders, this is the most comfortable to play: super nice neck profile (flat, but not too much) and extremely low action. This is also the last JV I have and the best compared to all the others I had over the years (around 10 if I remember correctly). With flats it does the Motown job, with rounds it sounds deep but aggressive.
      More detailed pictures can be found here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/1AJdmjTWwmQ3Qi7R9 
      Why am I selling it if its such a great bass – I am letting go a part of my collection and keeping only the more vintage precisions. I am aware the asking price is not among the cheapest – I have sold JVs here for 500 pounds some years ago, but am also not quite sure I want to let this one go, so if it doesn’t sell for this, I’ll be happy to keep it. Plus - try to find a CAR with rosewood board - it took me close to a decade. Also, if you purchase it and do not find yourself to like it – I can take it back as long as you cover the shipping and payment fees.
      Any questions – please, feel free to ask. Price includes shipping to most parts of EU. 
      You can check my feedback here -

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

ACG Finn R Type Fretless 5 Custom Spec Level, November 2014.

ONLY POSSIBLE TRADE : LEDUC U-BASSE FRETLESS 6 !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1895 GBP !!! (new price is way more than £3000 GBP and some time to have it finished..)

Fully working and in excellent condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body  : black limba
      Top and back : thick flamed redwood with two black accent veneers
      Neck : set in with a small tone block of Macassar ebony, 5 pieces of, from center to external side, Macassar ebony, ash and wenge (asymmetrical profile and fast neck, think JP Basses or MTD)
      Fingerboard : thick (7 mm) flat radius acrylic impregnated Birdseye maple with a black accent veneer
      Positions : 26 with partial fret lines and Luminlay side dots (Luminlay torch delivered with)
      Headstock : angled 3 + 2 shape with flamed redwood top and back and two black accent veneers
      Pickups : 2 x ACG FB humbuckers
      Preamp : ACG EQ-02 with 2 passive tones (47 nF TAD Mustard capacitors)
      Controls : volume + blend (stacked), low pass filter with frequency + cut/boost (stacked), high pass filter with frequency + cut/boost (stacked), passive neck pickup tone, passive bridge pickup tone and red battery control LED (the other small circuit inside the cavity)
      Tuners : Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB-350
      Bridge : Hipshot "A" Style
      Strings spacing at bridge : 19 mm
      Nut : ebony
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : ACG-East
      Scale : 35 inches
      Hardware colour : black
      Truss rod : one double action
      Finish : satin finish that has become shiny over the years
      Land of craftsmanship : United Kingdom (Scotland)
      Serial number : 0172
      Year : November 2014
      Weight : 4.535 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the G string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th position (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with the original Hiscox hard case (2 keys inside), a set of Dunlop black Straplok (used) and the Luminlay torch.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally. It has received a new battery and has been fitted with a brand new set of La Bella White Nylon Tape Wound 750T-B-XL strings (50 - 65 - 85 - 105 - 135T).

Certainly one of the best fiver fretless around. Top luthier build quality (Alan Cringean is in the top ten, for sure) and a sound to die for. The neck is a pleasure to play and the sound has tons of mwah. The original preamp was an ACG EQ-01 (there's a mistake on the website confirmed by Alan himself), then @Bass Wielder put a John East Uni-Pre and I removed it to put an ACG EQ-02 so I had the opportunity to put two (2) passive tones with oiled paper capacitors that are softening a bit the very fast attack, but maintaining the long decay. And you still can use the two filters to tailor your sound. The La Bella White Nylons are simply perfect for this bass (and any fretless, by the way) as they allow you to make very fast slides and also small accents with dramatic effect. There is absolutely no neck diving.

I'm only selling it due to my health problems as it's really too heavy for my broken back.

Link to this very ACG page : http://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0172-finn-r-type-fretless-5/

Link to the ACG EQ-02 : http://www.acguitars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ACG_EQ02_4k_2019.pdf

Link to the La Bella strings fitted : https://www.labella.com/strings/category/5-string-white-nylon-tape-bass/

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken under different angles and light to see the excellent condition of this bass. Some very minor scratches and very small dings impossible to photograph.

Here is the link to the 40 photos in high resolution, plus some of the work in progress : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qhK_Y1nDnNGNQTiiCOhmMB4VhU6qbk_l?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By Baloney Balderdash
      Is a cheap, lightweight, minimum 200W, powered, full range, flat response cab, with a flat response at max. 50Hz, and ideally with some kind of control over the high frequency tweeter as well, too much to ask for?
      I would think yes, by far most likely, but I am open for suggestions of something that at least somewhat approximates that.