Why become a member? ×

Peavy Forum '95 Single VFL PU £125 posted OBO
£250
London, N8

bloke_zero

£125 posted (in a softcase) OBO

For your consideration a 1995 (or there abouts) Peavey Forum Bass. The second iteration with a single VFL humbucker and active preamp (Axcel I think it said on the PCB?)
“Quality equipment for working musicians at fair prices.” - Hartley Peavey

This bass has seen active service and as such don't be afraid to make an offer if you think the price is too high. It has chips out of the body all over and a slight ding in the fingerboard, nothing that affects playability.  There is plenty of wear in the frets and the neck is straight and true.

It's a great sounding bass with  an 18V active preamp providing plenty of body.  Here is a little snippet I recorded today after putting copper shielding (before it was impossibly noisy):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyky3rkuzw3qpue/Peavy Forum EQ.wav?dl=0

Recorded direct with a little bit of compression on the way in this shows the EQ with straight, bass cut, bass boost, treble boost and last treble cut.
EQ is shelving with +/-12dB at 96Hz for bass and 255Hz for treble, which as you can hear above is plenty.

Specs

Neck: Maple with rosewood fingerboard. 1.7″ at the nut with a depth of about 0.75" at the 3rd fret with a fairly flat radius.  It's a nice shallow C profile, very playable.
Frets: 21 nickel-silver
Body: Swamp Ash or Alder, poly finish
Pickup: harmonically placed VFL Plus active unit
Preamp: 18v +-12db shelving EQ bass and treble
Weight: 9lb 10oz

Condition
Overall it's a fun bass to play, a bit heavy but it never bothered me. No neck dive, plenty of 'meat and potatoes' tone with the active preamp. Good EQ frequencies make it easy to dial in dub or new wave. Great American craftmanship!

Good
Frets have some wear but minor - see pics
Electronics in good shape and benefited from copper shielding, pots quiet, preamp quiet and powerful
Very playable and dependable instrument that has been gigged many times and will hopefully gig many times more
Wide range of tones, good pickup
Easy to get in tune and intonated correctly - bridge saddles in good shape.
Bad
Some fret buzz on the D string at the 12th fret - frets could use some leveling - it's set to Fender standard 2.5mm and is barely noticeable there - if you wanted to go lower it would be problematic at that fret on D - 13th fret needs slightly lowering for the D.
Many chips in finish
Had to put some solder on the E tuning peg where it is slightly bent and was rattling (now silent and functions well, but bend is noticeable)
The truss rod allen nut is a bit mashed - it's how it came to me.  I have never had an issue with getting purchase, but you need to be patient and make sure the key is in before turning.

Here is a link to a bit of Peavey Forum history: https://www.vintageguitar.com/14373/peavey-forum-basses/

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

Edited by bloke_zero
Price lowered again
  • Like 2