headofire

420 Neck Through Precision

Dumb question: since you have taken what looks like 5mm off the body along the string line, won't the bridge now sit too low wrt the fretboard, resulting in horrible action? Or is there some cunningness en route?

String line looks the only bit not touched to me - thickness off the whole of the back and the wings on the front face, no?

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed this!

This is MAGNIFICENT :)

The concept is right - leave everything that has a structural or geometric function alone and everything left (at least 50% of the weight) is fair game.

Great skills on show here, too. Handsawing with that level of accuracy is someone who really knows what they are doing.

Honestly, one of my favourite mod threads I've seen on the forum...including my own :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Great skills on show here, too. Handsawing with that level of accuracy is someone who really knows what they are doing.

I thought that too.  I'd love to see how that was done.  It must have taken ages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting there with the finish, staining it a mahogany burst like the mid ‘60’s thunderbirds. Oil or wax over that, going to through string it and just have a slim Gibson type bridge but no tailpiece, ordered the gotoh parts yesterday. Stil toying with the idea of a wooden floating arch top bridge to keep things light and resonant. I can’t decide if a chrome adjustable bridge might be a nicer way of doing things. A bit of Gibson and a bit of fender. 

4C878390-F298-4F23-B8E5-D7D1B76E7343.jpeg

D05E4572-B465-44EF-9428-8E7088E5DA05.jpeg

21EA04D1-1085-42B3-BE78-8317B9B3E932.jpeg

AD373CB7-F1A0-46C0-87A4-18363BC10515.jpeg

1A9B7B83-A854-4525-B057-67FBAC863919.jpeg

E59E4EB7-7887-4B3D-9698-4E51E1A27195.jpeg

• Like 3

On 23/11/2020 at 18:25, Richard R said:

Dumb question: since you have taken what looks like 5mm off the body along the string line, won't the bridge now sit too low wrt the fretboard, resulting in horrible action? Or is there some cunningness en route?

Fair point, I took very little of the top where the bridge will sit, I took off the old finish that’s all, the slice came off the back. 

DC6D2EFA-351C-458D-B5E4-559D0AD4F88A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2020 at 10:04, SpondonBassed said:

I thought that too.  I'd love to see how that was done.  It must have taken ages.

I just marked all the way around the back of the body about 6.5mm in then carefully cut that line in as a saw guide. Light plane to make it flat. The wings on the front were done with an 18 volt plane. All done with basic site tools really. All the saw cuts left the end of the saw blade (the wobbly end which leaves marks) ended over the rib contour as I knew I was going to take more off there. I wanted the front to be contours where it rests on your body and everywhere else slab edged. Following on the Gibson meets fender idea. Feels really nice, you are right though, it took ages. 

Edited by headofire
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, headofire said:

Fair point, I took very little of the top where the bridge will sit, I took off the old finish that’s all, the slice came off the back. 

DC6D2EFA-351C-458D-B5E4-559D0AD4F88A.jpeg

Thanks, makes far more sense now.

I quite like the pic above, a sort of 1970's beige racing stripe type look 😁

• Thanks 1