Why become a member? ×

Triumph_Rock

So I have only ever owned one bass guitar. I've read about neck profile, neck finish, radiused fret boards, read loads of manufacturer specifications. But having only really had my hand on one bass, it was hard for me to translate what this meant in the real world, so to speak. So this morning, I went to have my bass guitar lesson. Asked my tutor some questions. Afterward I thought to try some of the local music shops to get my hands on so that I could learn. So today I have tried Fender Precision ( Mexican ), Fender Jass ( Mexican ), Vintage Musicman copy, Musicman by Sterling StingRay Ray34, Music Man by Sterling StingRay Ray4 HH. 

To try all these basses out I had to travel to two shops.

Out of the Fenders, I preferred the precision, because of the satin neck, and the pickups are definitely higher output than a Jazz bass. I nearly bought that in the first shop. I showed some restraint, and thought no I'll wait and contemplate over the potential purchase. So then I went to the second shop. Where I tried the Sterling's. So I spent some time comparing the Ray34 and Ray4 HH. I actually preferred the tones of the Ray4 HH because I could hear more tone choices from the Ray4 HH. I huess more tone of the Ray4 HH is probably down to having two humbuckers. What I really liked about the Ray4 HH and Fender Precision, was the satin necks. Wow they play a lot faster than a painted neck or high gloss neck. The Sterling Ray4 HH, sounded more powerful, and sounded like it had more variation in tone over the Fender to me. And you know when you get that "feeling", you know its the one, that real happy fuzzy feeling, yep thats what the Ray4 HH gave, so I knew I had to take it! 

I've already been playing my Ray4 HH. Very happy indeed.

Photo, sorry for the poor quality the weather and lighting is rubbish hear today! The colour looks way cooler!

IMG_20201024_155713.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chris7273 said:

very nice bass, will be good for Duff bass lines 🙂

Yes indeed, it has huge tonal variations. My Vox Amplug2 bass headphone amp arrived today, which I wasn't expecting much from, but that has really impressed me, I like the drum/rhyme machine on it. So now I can practice my bass anywhere in the house without bugging everyone :)

Congratulations, you doubled your collection!

The most important bit for me is that fuzzy feeling you describe. I can't try the basses I want because there are no music shops. I therefore often go on the look of the thing. 

I get a warm fuzzy feeling from looking at a beautiful instrument. If I get the feeling from playing it too, then I'm golden. It's a keeper. 

People used to laugh at me for buying cameras I liked the look of - and I can see why. I've found the things I like the look and feel of make me want to use them. So I took more pictures with a great looking camera and I practise more with a great looking and feeling bass. 

• Like 2