Why become a member? ×

Ampeg cabs

la bam

I had an SVT410HE and it was a nice sounding cab, nice balanced sound,  and used an SVT410HLF on tour last year, again nice cab. They have a reputation for being very low end biased but as I had a twangy overdrive sound it worked very well.

• Like 1

I've owned several and rate them highly. I moved to Orange a while ago but Ampeg was always solid & reliable. The Portaflex cabs were great. Medium weight but sturdy. I had a 4x10 (the heaviest), a 2x10 and a 1x15. The heavy ones have side handles so easier to carry and all have super cool retro stylings. My personal favourites & I loved flipping the lid with the head underneath.

I also had the SVT ones which were older. These looked good, sounded great but were heavier. I always ran mine with Ampeg heads but did have a phase of using an old 1978 alll valve Fender Bassman head (brilliant sound, heaviest rig ever) and an Orange Terror head - again sounded great. 

New(er) more lightweight cabs exist now but I think the Ampeg stuff is so classic & iconic that most owners don't mind the weight as they sound great and are no heavier than the stuff players had in days gone by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, la bam said:

Cheers lozz. Is there much difference to look for between the HLF series and HE etc?

Well aside from that the HLF is a deeper more low-end biased cab, it’s also 4ohms and a fair bit bigger, though has inbuilt castors you help move it about. I used each amp with different amps & bands so difficult to be objective but I’d say the HE was more what I would recognise as the traditional Ampeg sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive played them exclusively the last few years from 610, 410he, 410hlf, B410 to my current 212av.  Wonderful cabs for my type of sound (vintagey, P bass, flats etc).  Tried to go lightweight a few years back at significant cost but it was too much of a compromise tone wise.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. Like one of the above comments, I changed to lighter cabs in the last year. Now using Markbass. I always still look up the Ampeg gear as I used to have a 4 X 10  and a 1 X 15 paired. Was way more power than I needed. Loved the sound of Ampeg and can see myself going back to it in the future. Great gear. 

• Like 1

I had an SVT210HE, which I really liked. Not too heavy, portable and small enough to fit in the car boot. I ran it with an SVT15E, which worked well, but I really wanted another 210HE (which were no longer made). I eventually sold both and got what I have now (which I'm very happy with, but they cost me quite a bit). And what do you know? I came across a mint used 210HE a short while later. Sod's law.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...