Why become a member? ×

NBD... There's gold in them there hills - Jack Casady gold!!

Jonesy

One of these came up near me at a good price and I just couldn't resist! I've heard all the positive feedback they get here, and on TB, so GAS curiosity got the better of me. Its a 2005 from the Peerless factory and is in pretty good shape apart from the odd ding here and there. 

I've been playing it for the past few hours and it produces quite the lovely mwamp with flats on it 😁

IMG_20201024_134323.jpg

IMG_20201024_134335.jpg

IMG_20201024_134348.jpg

IMG_20201024_145709.jpg

• Like 10

21 hours ago, spyder said:

Congratulations, I have the same bass.

Does it sound good through the Barefaced cab?

I've yet to find something that doesn't sound nice through these cabs to be honest! 

It's a bit overkill with the Quilter for home use, but my practice amp has been at work in the office since March, so it's the only setup I have (unless I want to use headphones). 

I've paired it with a EHX soul food and I can a lovely warm thud out of it. Very pleased so far. Hopefully I can avoid some wall papering and have another play this arvo!! 

I had one of these, but in red (which luckily comes with a case). 
Lovely vintage tone. I just found it too uncomfortable to play. Not the neck, but the body. Gave my right forearm a lot of pain after a while of playing sitting down. Shame I never got to gig it. Standing up was never a real problem. 

• Like 1

I'm on my third one of these - all have been gold tops. First two were bought used, but were sold on when times were hard. The most recent was bought new earlier this year, so hasn't seen any gigs yet (except a few unofficial gigs in an Oxford park) but has been my bass of choice for rehearsals and general mucking about at home. I last used it at yesterday's rehearsal. I take this £500 bass rather than any of my Fenders or my Sandberg Panther - which has made me question the sense of keeping several thousand pounds worth of basses when I don't use them.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, peety said:

Thought I was set on black but the gold finish looks great might have to think again. 

There is something about the gold top that suits it rather nicely and it's lovely to look at. I may be biased, but I reckon you should definitely think again!! 

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I had one of these, but in red (which luckily comes with a case). 
Lovely vintage tone. I just found it too uncomfortable to play. Not the neck, but the body. Gave my right forearm a lot of pain after a while of playing sitting down. Shame I never got to gig it. Standing up was never a real problem. 

I've found it pretty comfy to play so far, but thats mostly sitting down - should hopefully be jamming sometime this week so will give it a go standing up for a few hours. 

The tones you can get out of it are superb, really digging using it for blues!! 

I really liked the barky middy setting on that pickup (can't remember which click of the dial it was)...surprisingly aggressive with a pick. If I had the money for a big static collection then I'd still have mine, but I ran out of cash and had to move it on...

7 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Does this bridge have the same issue on the JC as it does on the EB etc ?

Do you mean does it go flying across the room the fist time you tune up? Mine did. Brand new and it came away from the bass. I ended up replacing mine for a Hipshot and glued it in. 

Great sounding basses. I owned one about 15 years ago, gold top. The pickup system is unique. 

I couldn’t get on physically with mine. The binding dig into my forearm - the huge body played a part too - and I could never sort the neck dive. I ended up using an acoustic guitar strap thing to more or less hold it up at the headstock, but in the end all the niggles made me sell it. The bridge was annoying as well, sadly. 

They sound great though. 

Ah very cool basses - I sold mine (also a Peerless-built goldtop, wearing flats and in that same case - could be my exact bass in fact!) back in 2018 to fund another bass but I've missed it. It always looked super cool on stage (even if i didn't) and sounded way more versatile than I'd expected.

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Ah very cool basses - I sold mine (also a Peerless-built goldtop, wearing flats and in that same case - could be my exact bass in fact!) back in 2018 to fund another bass but I've missed it. It always looked super cool on stage (even if i didn't) and sounded way more versatile than I'd expected.

Ah, it'd be nice if it was!! Can you remember any dings/marks/serial number etc??

5 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Ah, it'd be nice if it was!! Can you remember any dings/marks/serial number etc??

Only that it had a long thin scratch on the surface between the bridge and the bottom of the body thanks to my keyboard player’s stand...!

I’m sure there’s a few Peerless ones around from that era. Top bass!

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’m puzzled by @funkle’s comment about neck dive. Mine has absolutely none and I’m only using a thin retro style strap with a sliding shoulder pad. So I weighed it - 3.2kg, it balances really well, curious how similar instruments behave differently.

Even before i got mine i read many posts on here and TB about neck dive. Even the official reviews mentioned it. 

I definitely had it as well, i don’t think these basses have changed since they came out. I didn’t mind it too much, it was more the tipping away from my body that i hated. 

I didn't find the neck dive to be so bad, I used a suede backed strap and it stayed in place fine.

The body shape, thickness and finding a comfortable playing position took a bit more getting used to though. I wouldn't put those down as negatives against the bass, more something you have to be aware of and be open to adjusting to when playing it.

I’d really like to try one of these been looking at them for a while , been trying to find a second hand one as I don’t fancy shelling out for a new one at the moment , don’t seem to be many second hand ones around at the moment though 

Might have to wait till shops are open again and see if I can find one to try out 

On 09/03/2021 at 11:58, Grahambythesea said:

I’m puzzled by @funkle’s comment about neck dive. Mine has absolutely none and I’m only using a thin retro style strap with a sliding shoulder pad. So I weighed it - 3.2kg, it balances really well, curious how similar instruments behave differently.

I’ve played a couple and they neck-dived like crazy, like proper headstock-hitting-floor. I particularly struggle with neck dive due to neck and spinal problems, it’s an absolute no-no for me. I was fairly gutted as I’d planned on buying one. I know Andy T has said the replacement bridges (Babicz and Hipshot) help with this though. I would have thought too that the tuners were maybe replaceable with lighter versions too?

• Like 3

Just now, FinnDave said:

I play my Casady using a pick and don't suffer from neck dive or forward tilt as my picking hand forearm rest on the bass and keeps it where it belongs. 

I also play with a pick and rest my arm on the bass. It made little difference to me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 4000 said:

I also play with a pick and rest my arm on the bass. It made little difference to me. 

Which just goes to show how important it is to try these things out - we have completely different experiences of the same instrument. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 15:08, Jonesy said:

One of these came up near me at a good price and I just couldn't resist! I've heard all the positive feedback they get here, and on TB, so GAS curiosity got the better of me. Its a 2005 from the Peerless factory and is in pretty good shape apart from the odd ding here and there. 

I've been playing it for the past few hours and it produces quite the lovely mwamp with flats on it 😁

Nice One Jonesy

I really like My Jack. Can I just ask how do You find out which factory it was built?