Why become a member? ×

I made this video lesson as I notice a lot of my bass students trying to use the ‘one finger per fret rule’ for all playing situations. 

This could be holding you back and be preventing you from playing with accuracy. 

Find out more in the lesson and use the exercises I provide to improve your technique. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 26/12/2020 at 23:19, chris_b said:

We should all be capable of playing both fingering styles and to know which is appropriate, ie to avoid stretching.

So Simandl low on the neck and Saimadl or 1FPF further up the neck.

As with most things, figure out what works best for your situation and go with it. I tend to use Simandel lower down, 1FPF above the 5th fret and sometimes bigger stretches above the 12th fret. But I could easily play 1FPF over the whole board if needed. I let the song dictate it mainly. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 23:34, dodge_bass said:

As with most things, figure out what works best for your situation and go with it. I tend to use Simandel lower down, 1FPF above the 5th fret and sometimes bigger stretches above the 12th fret. But I could easily play 1FPF over the whole board if needed. I let the song dictate it mainly. 

That sums up my approach on the whole.

• Like 2