Why become a member? ×

Quirky Fender CS Bass...

Old Man Riva

... the Abuelo.

Built by Custom Shop Master Builder, Vincent Van Trigt, who is not only an excellent builder but an accomplished bass player to boot!

I really like the look and sound of this bass. It features a Curtis Novak BS-DS p/up for that fuller throatier sound.

I think the bass was made as a special order for a trade show, but if Fender were looking to broaden their horizons - whilst still wanting to remain on a four string, no battery ‘traditional’ approach - then they could do worse than rolling a few of these out...

https://youtu.be/ivyPjNivcos 

• Like 3

Lovely playing, do you think that bass sounds all that different, or do you think that fact that it looks different makes us think it does. That style of playing seems to be the new slap in terms of demoing a bass, and to my ear, you're nearly always hearing the player and the style as opposed to the bass (which was often true of the slap vids also)

Love the look of the bass. Chances of Fender rolling it out. Zero :(

24 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Lovely playing, do you think that bass sounds all that different, or do you think that fact that it looks different makes us think it does. That style of playing seems to be the new slap in terms of demoing a bass, and to my ear, you're nearly always hearing the player and the style as opposed to the bass (which was often true of the slap vids also)

Love the look of the bass. Chances of Fender rolling it out. Zero :(

That’s an excellent point, and the honest answer is, I’ve no idea!

You’re totally right about the player making a huge difference (I certainly wouldn’t make the bass sound like he does!) but in terms of the electrics being an important component I think on this occasion the Novak ‘Starfire’ type p/up being used on the bass definitely makes a difference to the fundamental sound of the instrument - in the same way it would make a difference if, say, a Jazz, Precision or Thunderbird etc. p/up were fitted.

I really like the bass and I really like the player! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

Nice playing but shame the bass is in such poor condition. You'd think that, being an expensive Custom Shop model an' all, he'd take better care of it.

:|

That was both a joke about relics and a relic joke at one and the same time Jack :)

• Haha 1

I love the look of it, it's got that kind of 50s/ 60s weird view of the future thing going for it like a lot of the stuff Eastwood copy. I'd want one with three of those pickups all really close together and the same headstock shape as they had on the semi hollow a few years back, was it called the Starcaster or something? However I wouldn't pay Fender Custom Shop prices, no way. A nice MIM or Squier version would be tempting. 

14 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I love the look of it, it's got that kind of 50s/ 60s weird view of the future thing going for it like a lot of the stuff Eastwood copy. I'd want one with three of those pickups all really close together and the same headstock shape as they had on the semi hollow a few years back, was it called the Starcaster or something? However I wouldn't pay Fender Custom Shop prices, no way. A nice MIM or Squier version would be tempting. 

Mate, I'd venture that even I could copy that bass body shape using a jigsaw, get the pockets and routs done professionally and away you go :)

7 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

What does it remind of? Oh yes a non reverse Thunderbird!

Blimey, you’re right! Hadn’t properly realised that. It feels like a cross between a Thunderbird and the Starcaster that uk_lefty referenced above (albeit a squashed one!).

Here’s another pic of the body...

image.thumb.jpeg.593790b3c89493ad0cb716fb31acb583.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Amp, mic, processing. I doubt that being a Fender employee he set out to show it warts and all?  

True, but those things can’t completely change the tonal character of a bass. Amp, mic and processing wouldn’t really be able to make a Jazz sound like a Stingray etc.

Just now, CameronJ said:

True, but those things can’t completely change the tonal character of a bass. Amp, mic and processing wouldn’t really be able to make a Jazz sound like a Stingray etc.

Fair point, lovely playing and lovely tone either way