Why become a member? ×

Bernie Marsden auction

ProfJames

14 minutes ago, Drax said:

Some manky stuff there, it's like a house clearance 

Agreed. I wouldn`t touch some of that stuff unless I had my pink marigold`s on :shok:

I think the auction should be called "Some nice amps but some right old tat that I was gonna skip but hopefully some mug will buy it!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

List prices seem unrealistically low too, especially for those amps and cabs. Some cool stuff tho.

I would expect a few of those lots have reserve’s on them and the low starting prices are there to lure people in.

Cornford and Soldano make great amps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ve been to this auction a few times. Don’t forget there’s a 24% premium on top you’ll need to pay. There are few bargains to be had there, but it is quite a lot of fun!

I have bought very well there, and seen a lot of excellent value for buyers. I have also seen plenty of buyers get carried away.

Agreed, it is an enjoyable way to buy, if you are level headed and set limits.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GuyR said:

I have bought very well there, and seen a lot of excellent value for buyers. I have also seen plenty of buyers get carried away.

Agreed, it is an enjoyable way to buy, if you are level headed and set limits.

I’ve rarely seen a bargain there, but the instruments do seem reasonably priced. 

I do remember a man dressed as a cowboy winning a guitar (some Gibson Ltd Edition) fist pumping in the middle of the auction room.

That was great to see, as it turns out he’d been searching for this particular guitar for over 20 years!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ve rarely seen a bargain there, but the instruments do seem reasonably priced. 

I do remember a man dressed as a cowboy winning a guitar (some Gibson Ltd Edition) fist pumping in the middle of the auction room.

That was great to see, as it turns out he’d been searching for this particular guitar for over 20 years!

I bought a lovely 66 Tele for £5500. Not player grade. A 62 slab Jazz bass, modified but very nice £1700. The '60 Esquire custom in the current catalogue was bought in the auction about 5 years ago for about £5800, the same auction where a Rick Turner Renaissance bass sold for £600. All including the commission. 

It depends on your definition of a bargain, but I invariably wish I'd taken more money with me.

The auction where I bought my tele had a 56 esquire, body only refin, for £6k and a lovely body only refin slab 62 Jazz at £3720, which sold in the Gallery for around £7k a couple of weeks later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GuyR said:

If I lived in Bristol, I'd go to every one. From London, it's a bit of a mission.

Have you bought anything there?

No, I’ve been a few times but on some of those occasions it was with friends checking out the other stringed instruments there. I don’t have funds to invest in basses of that cost any more, sadly.