Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Build

Davebassics

Insomnia + Pay Day = time to start a new build!

In truth, I haven't built a bass in 8 years (where has the time gone?!) but its been on my mind for a long time to do another and it seems like the opportunity has arisen to get started! As I don't currently own a passive jazz bass, and jazz basses have always been my thing, seems logical to build a Jazz. I figured I had best start a thread for the many questions I will have for the experts.

I had thought about being very particular and building as close of a replica to a specific bass as possible but I've decided against that. I am going to have the the 60s in mind but I'm not going to worry about making sure everything is period correct. I haven't decided on "relicing" yet. If I do, it will be very light. I'll definitely be going for nitro lacquer, I'd love a bass that ages gracefully.

I have a Neck and a Body on the way, and I have a wiring loom and some other bits and bobs knocking around too. I think the only major purchase left is pickups. More on that to follow.

So the first major decision is .... colour! I was thinking vintage white but having just been browsing manchesterguitartech and I'm now torn between 4 options. Happy to hear your opinions!

Sonic Blue:

Sonic-Blue.jpg.0f292920305df0e3178304407a453816.jpg

Sea Foam Green

Sea-Foam-Green.jpg.2d681153c0022f379f4e3b17eaf5db31.jpg

Shell Pink

Shell-Pink.jpg.c3f33b1278b607c5d75eea747f3f44d4.jpg

Vintage White

Vintage-White.jpg.ba24d60410ba922557d8b59a443c7dcb.jpg

So that's enough to start of with, next update will be when the parts start showing up I guess! 

Edited by Davebassics
  • Like 2

it's mocking up on a Sadowsky jazz so not 100% the same- but this PDF I made uses both aged and non-aged colours. **OPEN IN ACROBAT - NOT BROWSER!**   Bass_config_SadowskyWL_v1.1.pdf

EDIT: I made use of Manchester guitar tech as a starting point for colours, but the shell pink and aged sea foam I think I sampled from elsewhere...

Edited by LukeFRC