Why become a member? ×

In appreciation of Basschat

40hz

Hi all,

Tonight I thought I would try and list my Modulus Flea bass on a few Facebook Bass sale related groups.

I wish I hadn't.

A diabolical experience, full of snide, idiotic (and clueless) people with no respect. So I pulled the ad.

Made me long for the warm hug of Basschat and it's superb community, spirit and conduct. Selling (and buying, oh so much buying!) here has always been a great experience.

Thanks to all that run Basschat and moderate it! 

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Judo Chop said:

What kind of response was Facebook giving you?

I explicitly stated no offers. So naturally it was full of the very original and hilarious "I'll give you £1" type comments.

Another individual told me, quite laughably, that my Flea Bass was worth under £1000.

Another individual was questioning why I was asking so much for the bass as it's "not that special". Never mind it's about bang on for market value at this point in time and quite a rare bird in the scheme of things.

Some other comments getting quite personal. Whatever happened to just moving on if you aren't interested for whatever reason?

I couldn't be bothered with it all.

Edited by 40hz
  • Sad 1

Just now, 40hz said:

I explicitly stated no offers. So naturally it was full of the very original and hilarious "I'll give you £1 type comments".

Another individual told me that my Flea Bass was worth under £1000.

Some other comments getting quite personal. Whatever happened to just moving on if you aren't interested for whatever reason?

I couldn't be bothered with it all.

Some people just get a little thrill out of being rude to strangers from the safety of their screen unfortunately, Facebook marketplace is an especially bizarre place though it really seems to attract the freaks doesn't it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This place is a really good community, people talk stinky poo occasionally (mostly me), bicker occasionally, disagree strongly occasionally, and sometimes get into an argument for the sake of it, and there's a few members who clearly don't like each other, but these are no different to what you would see in any community. There've been a couple of dodgy members who were/are here purely to take advantage of that community spirit in commercial terms, but generally speaking, there's a sense of mutual respect and looking after each other on here that means we suffer very few of the problems that come with buying and selling on the internet (and there have been some lovely gestures made to people who have lost out on here). Just take a minute to think just how much gear moves around this forum with virtually no issues? Compare that to eBay!!!!!! A few times recently new members have come on clearly looking for a fight and haven't lasted long because they're expecting the more usual internet rules ala Facebook Marketplace or YouTube. People need to understand that this is a local forum for local people :)

All joking aside, well done to Ped and the mod team, I've given you all a lot of crap over the years about various things, and got into some frankly daft discussions at times, but this really is an outstanding place. How many other forums could you have a full on argument with someone you've never met about something life critical such as, I don't know, how many string windings there should be on a tuner, and a couple of weeks later bump into them in person at a BC Bash and be greeted as an old friend. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Know what you mean @40hz i've had a few chancers offering stupid money for items but on the other hand i've had some really nice genuine people who bought without issue, no bartering and gave me what i was asking.

I've never really had any issues at all with folks on BC buying or selling. All been genuine nice people on BC. 

Its why i love being part of it.

Dave 

• Like 2

I've been lucky in the few deals I've done with folk on Facebook.

I can only recall two issues here, but rather than make a fuss I learned my lesson and moved on. 

Two - out of all the deals I've done and people I've met. Think of the Basschat relays, of a certain member driving miles to deliver a bass and flat out refusing petrol money, the guy who would not take my money until I received and liked the bass, the people who have sold instruments for below the market value and done it happily. People who help me pitch at the right selling price when I have no clue, and all those who take time to leave positive feed back. 

Two disappointing moments among years and years of happy buying and selling. I have literally no complaints. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1