Why become a member? ×

New compressor day

51m0n

11 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Nice, Si!

I've got the FEA dual band- this looks like it has even more going on than that! Let us know what you think of it. 👍

Yes, me too. Took forever to get it built, but the wait was worth it. I’m going to have to be seriously impressed to feel the need to replace/upgrade it. Enjoy your pedal @s1m0n and let us know how you get on 👍

• Like 1

FIANALY!!!! 😂. I cant believe you haven't owned one already. 

Love my Mini Pro. Its funny but after have various pedal comp’s, as well as my Helix and Zoom’s, it was my Becos that really taught me how to use these things to get out what i wanted. Just enough control, and a lovely meter.

The documentation on their website (and the manual) just seemed to click with me, and over night i felt i had conquered compression......and then realised i didnt need it lol. 

But ill keep it because deep down i do appreciate what its doing. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 22:32, grandad said:

I don't think I could cope with that.

My compressor is the white knob.

image.png.01c902b7a9b34d04b0d5ccd6b2ac7774.png

I have the same white knob, I believe it is the Spectracomp toneprint I loaded on it. Excellent compressor, does what I want it to. Which is lucky. 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 13:19, Beedster said:

I think that any thread started by 51m0n about his new compressor is one that folks should take as being about as good an endorsement of that compressor as possible :)

Who knows, could be a huge mistake on my part 😆

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 51m0n said:

Who knows, could be a huge mistake on my part 😆

Haha - hardly likely. Besides, you already know what you're getting into after spending some quality time with its Stella sibling, which you were very positive about. This is just going to give all of that and a fair bit more besides in the shape of dual band rather than single band compression. 

• Like 2

The Stella is a cracking compressor.

My only slight reservation about the twain is the lack of manual attack and release controls. Only because I'm a tiny bit of a compression control freak 😆

Ever since Robert Trujillo's tone on the third Infectious Grooves album I've wanted to have this kind of compression set up....

I had one of these before, but stupidly sold it. (Oh, you've also walked down that lane...?) ;)
My previous one had the Lundahl transformer (TX-L), but when Origin Effects re-released the unit, and my toy account was full, I just bought a new one, only this time the TX. I love the old style bakelite knobs and the massive looks of it. And the work it does, of course... ;)

49370183647_718657916d_k.jpg

I also have an Empress that is smaller and has parallel compression abilities. It is also more usable for "compressor effects" while this big old box more or less sits there and makes life easier...

• Like 2

On 25/10/2020 at 08:49, Al Krow said:

Haha - hardly likely. Besides, you already know what you're getting into after spending some quality time with its Stella sibling, which you were very positive about. This is just going to give all of that and a fair bit more besides in the shape of dual band rather than single band compression. 

Are you actually speaking out in favour of compression? This really is heralding in the end of days. 

Please refer to @dave_bass5's post above. He summarises the subject very well. It's where the truly wise eventually end up. Either that or playing short scale basses. Sometimes both.

Obviously the Zen Master level BCer will dispense with the mundaneness of normal bass rigs and flourish with FRFR.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Confused 1

On 27/10/2020 at 08:55, bassmayhem said:

I had one of these before, but stupidly sold it. (Oh, you've also walked down that lane...?) ;)
My previous one had the Lundahl transformer (TX-L), but when Origin Effects re-released the unit, and my toy account was full, I just bought a new one, only this time the TX. I love the old style bakelite knobs and the massive looks of it. And the work it does, of course... ;)

49370183647_718657916d_k.jpg

I also have an Empress that is smaller and has parallel compression abilities. It is also more usable for "compressor effects" while this big old box more or less sits there and makes life easier...

The Iron core TX version has more colour and I think a better sound than the more linear L version. If you haven’t already plug your output into the Di out and set the gain to high. It really adds that character

*I’m not looking at the back panel on mine just now but you’ll see what I mean. The added output from the DI out really livens things up😀

First impressions, it's a lot of fun 🤩

Very easy to do super super transparent compression in dual band mode. Put it in series and you can start doing all sorts of overt compression effects.

Actually finding a tiny bit of saturation can be cool too in dual band mode with some dry in the mix.

More to follow 👍

• Like 3

My 50 Cent on bass compression is that despite the fact that I really rather use compression as a means to subtly adjust fairly minor details of the tonal character of my signal, than as a way to control or uniform the dynamic range of it, and the fact that the TC Electronic fully programable digital 3 band SpeactraComp bass compressor that I own really allows for some very detailed customized adjustments of the compression going on, I found that I actually preferred the tone that I got from using 2 single band compressors with fairly limited controls over the compression parameters, which are a quite subtle compression from the digital model of the DBX 160A compressor in my lowly Zoom G1Xon multi effect, using a high threshold and a relatively low 2.5:1 ratio, going into my very much analog tube driven optical compressor, the EHX Black Finger, also set to a very subtle compression with a high threshold and a relatively slow attack time and low ratio, actually having a quite negligible effect on my playing dynamics, but just adding a bit of extra snap and punch, as well as making my tone sound slightly more defined, focused and tight.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash