Why become a member? ×

I love cheap basses!

Pappabass

18 minutes ago, Pappabass said:

Cool, 1/2 fender 1/2 Stingray, and it is passive! let us know how it sounds ! 

Not had it cranked yet but at low volumes I can tell it has a very wide range of sounds. Individual level controls for both halves of the pick up give a lot of flexibility. 

It grunts, and sparkles. I like it a lot. 

• Like 4

I’ve scratched both my cheap bass and short-scale itches by buying a Harley Benton 30” scale P bass. I consulted our own @Paul S, who is an owner of one, and he was very positive. So I did it.

For £79 plus postage it’s remarkably good. It was adequately set up straight out of the box and just needed tuning.  No rough edges on the frets. The bridge is solid and fully adjustable. Strings and pickup poles properly aligned. The pickup sounds good to me (bearing in mind the so-so round wound strings fitted). Tuners a little weak and perhaps heavy as there’s a slight tendency towards head-dive. However, overall it’s amazing for the price and I won’t hesitate to take it to band rehearsals and also gig it.

I’m not planning to make any changes to it. To me, adding to the cost of the bass would defeat the objective of having a cheap bass. I’ve got enough higher-quality expensive ones already! 

To anyone considering a short scale - I now have a bass I can keep out of sight in the boot of my hatchback. Very useful for those times I have somewhere to go and need to park the car before and after rehearsals.

I’ve added a photo of the shorty next to my US P deluxe so that the size and shape can be compared.

35A134CA-EEE8-4F53-9A27-14FB7D4414BE.jpeg

3DAB2400-5CF1-43E6-AF8E-EF1029B824FA.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

Individual level controls for both halves of the pick up give a lot of flexibility. 

Nice! I really liked that on the OLP's I tried too. Very useful control layout, and much more tonal variety than you'd expect from two coils to close together. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 19:33, TheGreek said:

I've owned many high end basses but was always too precious with them.

Inexpensive basses mean that you don't have to worry about losing £200 off the price when it inevitably gets a knock.

Most of mine could have been chopped up, shredded and burned and still left me with change from £200 :)

A

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my earlier posting;  My lower back problems have returned so I am using my Tanglewood violin bass more.  It weighs in at 5.7lb - 2.4Kg.  Taking a close look at it, the body is put together very nicely and the finish is good.  The tuners, bridge and electrics are a little down market but they do their job.  I understand that Tanglewoods used to be made by Cort but there is no indication on my bass as to who made it or in which country.

It really is a well made (for the price) bass guitar.  I have been looking at genuine Hofner violin basses, made in Germany, which look really nice, but would I notice that much of a difference in playability and tone?  If you have a German made Hofner, I'd like your opinion.

20201130_183341[1].jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LeftyP said:

...  If you have a German made Hofner, I'd like your opinion.

My German-made Hofner is a vintage Verithin ...

glnQDr4.jpg

... which has withstood the test of time by now, so I'd say they're pretty darned good. I think it's fair to say that the reissue non-German instruments are very fine, too, and their advantages (light weight not least among them...) make them a very attractive option. The main difference with the vintage originals would be the presence of a centre-block; the originals are true hollow-body, and could, in some conditions, be subject to more feedback issues. Short or medium scale, and probably not the best choice for those wishing to indulge in 'slap' techniques, but they'll do most of what a 'normal' bass is supposed to do, and very well, in my view.
I have other basses (although I'm a drummer...), but the Verithin is my 'go-to' bass, and has been for decades.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

Not all modern Hofners have a centre block (or sustain block as they like to call it). The budget end Ignition series are completely hollow, the Contemporary series have a centre block and full fat German made one's are back to hollow again, there may possibly be German made ones with a centre block, I'm not sure. 

The Ignition have what they call 70s pickups while the Contemporary and German ones have the same pickups.

It's an odd choice as, if you're not buying a German one, you have to decide whether you want traditional pickups, or a traditional body. I wanted fully hollow so went for a Ignition Club bass. 

It seems silly to me to pay double the price to get the correct pickups, but then have to give up that hollow body, it's what a Hofner's all about. 

Obviously the build quality gets better with the increased price. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 12:08, Len_derby said:

I’ve scratched both my cheap bass and short-scale itches by buying a Harley Benton 30” scale P bass. I consulted our own @Paul S, who is an owner of one, and he was very positive. So I did it.

For £79 plus postage it’s remarkably good. It was adequately set up straight out of the box and just needed tuning.  No rough edges on the frets. The bridge is solid and fully adjustable. Strings and pickup poles properly aligned. The pickup sounds good to me (bearing in mind the so-so round wound strings fitted). Tuners a little weak and perhaps heavy as there’s a slight tendency towards head-dive. However, overall it’s amazing for the price and I won’t hesitate to take it to band rehearsals and also gig it.

I’m not planning to make any changes to it. To me, adding to the cost of the bass would defeat the objective of having a cheap bass. I’ve got enough higher-quality expensive ones already! 

To anyone considering a short scale - I now have a bass I can keep out of sight in the boot of my hatchback. Very useful for those times I have somewhere to go and need to park the car before and after rehearsals.

I’ve added a photo of the shorty next to my US P deluxe so that the size and shape can be compared.

35A134CA-EEE8-4F53-9A27-14FB7D4414BE.jpeg

3DAB2400-5CF1-43E6-AF8E-EF1029B824FA.jpeg

I really wish Harley Benton would have more short scale bass offerings.

As it is this is the only option they offer for this.

My dream is a 28,6" scale bass (like both Ibanez, Jackson, Squier (Fender) and ESP now offers options for) in the upper quality range of what Harley Benton offers, preferably in a bit more experimental design and with either a Thunderbird, double Music Man or Rickenbacker kind of pickups configuration. 

If they did it would instantly become first priority on my to buy list. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 30/11/2020 at 18:43, LeftyP said:

Further to my earlier posting;  My lower back problems have returned so I am using my Tanglewood violin bass more.  It weighs in at 5.7lb - 2.4Kg.  Taking a close look at it, the body is put together very nicely and the finish is good.  The tuners, bridge and electrics are a little down market but they do their job.  I understand that Tanglewoods used to be made by Cort but there is no indication on my bass as to who made it or in which country.

It really is a well made (for the price) bass guitar.  I have been looking at genuine Hofner violin basses, made in Germany, which look really nice, but would I notice that much of a difference in playability and tone?  If you have a German made Hofner, I'd like your opinion.

20201130_183341[1].jpg

I've just bought a 2nd hand Tanglewood violin bass. Scratchplate removed, screws all tightened, cleaned, polished & oiled, it came up pretty good. The binding is yellowed so I guess it's about 20 years old but I guess little played as the frets are good.

My attempt at a setup turned out well with a medium to low action and close intonation. Pickup height was a bit hit & miss but I think it's OK now. The control plate may be faulty so I'll have to get round to checking it out at some time in the future. It doesn't do what the Hofner controls do.

I've owned an Ignition & own a HCT so here is my take on them - the Ignition does the plinky plonk very well, especially with a pick. The HCT is more plonk than plink.

Sustain is shorter on the fully hollow Ignition. Both Hofners have a clean tone from powerful pickups.

The 5 and 1/2 lb Tanglewood has a bit of a bark to the tone but it has got toaster pickups. It doesn't do the clear Hofner tone.

I've had various violin basses and all have their own sound albeit similar in some respects, those with a sustain block do sound less "acoustic" than the fully hollow, and of course weight a tad more.

I certainly appreciate shorter scale and lighter weight basses as I've gotten older and also suffer an achy left shoulder.

100_0406.thumb.JPG.f451f0eb33bb7cc006cd88ff577c3555.JPG

A poor image but does show the softer waist of the Tanglewood, larger control panel & more reddish wood.

So for £200 a nice cheap instrument. As for ever getting a German Hofner - I think not. It would be to valuable to enjoy. I enjoy & take care of my instruments but if dinged then OK that's wear & tear. The most expensive was the HCT at £237 a couple of years ago if I remember correctly, and I'm a bit precious about that one.

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 21:49, grandad said:

I've just bought a 2nd hand Tanglewood violin bass. Scratchplate removed, screws all tightened, cleaned, polished & oiled, it came up pretty good. The binding is yellowed so I guess it's about 20 years old but I guess little played as the frets are good.

My attempt at a setup turned out well with a medium to low action and close intonation. Pickup height was a bit hit & miss but I think it's OK now. The control plate may be faulty so I'll have to get round to checking it out at some time in the future. It doesn't do what the Hofner controls do.

I've owned an Ignition & own a HCT so here is my take on them - the Ignition does the plinky plonk very well, especially with a pick. The HCT is more plonk than plink.

Sustain is shorter on the fully hollow Ignition. Both Hofners have a clean tone from powerful pickups.

The 5 and 1/2 lb Tanglewood has a bit of a bark to the tone but it has got toaster pickups. It doesn't do the clear Hofner tone.

I've had various violin basses and all have their own sound albeit similar in some respects, those with a sustain block do sound less "acoustic" than the fully hollow, and of course weight a tad more.

I certainly appreciate shorter scale and lighter weight basses as I've gotten older and also suffer an achy left shoulder.

100_0406.thumb.JPG.f451f0eb33bb7cc006cd88ff577c3555.JPG

A poor image but does show the softer waist of the Tanglewood, larger control panel & more reddish wood.

So for £200 a nice cheap instrument. As for ever getting a German Hofner - I think not. It would be to valuable to enjoy. I enjoy & take care of my instruments but if dinged then OK that's wear & tear. The most expensive was the HCT at £237 a couple of years ago if I remember correctly, and I'm a bit precious about that one.

Just out of curiosity, I contacted Tanglewood UK to see when and where the violin bass was made.  They replied very quickly and said that they were made in China between 2002 and 2014.  I bought mine about 10 or 12 years ago and still enjoy playing it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glarry, famous for 'not bad basses' despite only costing about 80 quid a pop, have tried to break into the rarified air of the 'north of 150 notes' type basses.

A brave move I'm sure we can all agree, given that 150 - 200 gets you one whole helluva lot of Harley Benton, the good folk at Glarry will be nervously scanning Basschat and biting their nails...

https://uk.glarrymusic.com/glarry-gp-ii-upgrade-electric-bass-guitar-wilkinson-pickup-black-burlywood-sunset-white-yellow-p248.html?news=newgp1

8 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

mmm... Scratch plate could of followed the body contour a little better....

It's mad isn't it!? 

Whilst I agree with you, and also feel that overall they look a bit 'cheap' (I know, they are), years ago I'd have said beggars can't be choosers, or something along those lines. I mean, what do you expect for £150?

Well these days? Quite a lot.

There's all sorts out there for that sort of money new and I feel these will have a hard time competing. 

While the Glarry may look/feel better in person, all of the HBs I've seen haven't looked/felt cheap at all. I know it's a short scale but the Ibanez Talman shorty is the same money and looks/feels, and more importantly sounds, great. 

What's the equivalent HB P bass cost now? Genuine question as I haven't looked lately. 

Not ultra cheap and technically Ibanez's step above their GIO budget line of basses, which my 4 and 5 string Mikro Basses belong to, namely the Iabanez Soundgear Standard line, but my new Ibanez SR306EB 6 string bass, and my first 6 sting bass ever, plays and sounds no short of amazing. 

Best damn bass tone I ever had, despite having owned a couple of 1000$+ basses.

Just amazing value for the money (just about 2999 Danish Kroner/372£ at Thomann).

Here it is, tuned in D standard (as in 3 half steps above regular 6 string B standard tuning, or 2 half steps bellow regular 4 string E standard tuning), and strung accordingly :

Ibanez-SR306-EB-231220-666-small.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Glarry, famous for 'not bad basses' despite only costing about 80 quid a pop, have tried to break into the rarified air of the 'north of 150 notes' type basses.

A brave move I'm sure we can all agree, given that 150 - 200 gets you one whole helluva lot of Harley Benton, the good folk at Glarry will be nervously scanning Basschat and biting their nails...

https://uk.glarrymusic.com/glarry-gp-ii-upgrade-electric-bass-guitar-wilkinson-pickup-black-burlywood-sunset-white-yellow-p248.html?news=newgp1

"Nut Material: Beef Bone"

What does beef bone sound like? I wouldn't want it to sound too 'obvious'. :/

• Sad 1

When you've tried several of the Harley Benton and other less expensive brands, the question should be why many of the other brands - such as Fender and Warwick and others - charge so much. I'm sure there are many people who still want to believe that they're getting better quality when they pay more, almost like it provides comfort and reassurance that they spent wisely, but that's quite clearly not true in this day and age.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

Thought I'd just throw in how impressed I've been with the Sire Marcus Miller V3, I picked it up last week for £299 (so the very highest end I'd consider "cheap").
So far it's super rock solid value, I can see it being a lifelong keeper so in the long run that probably counts as cheap or value for money at least.

When I take materials, build, electronics and finish into account it's up there with my Harley Benton which I completely love imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

I'm sure there are many people who still want to believe that they're getting better quality when they pay more, almost like it provides comfort and reassurance that they spent wisely, but that's quite clearly not true in this day and age.

I've banged this drum for a little while now. I've stopped doing it for two reasons. 

1: The growing number of like minded people provides a community of which I can be a part. I'm not an outsider any more. 

2: The folk who've invested their hard earned in expensive instruments, quite understandably, don't want to hear it. Why would they?

So rather than, on the one hand, pi§§ people off, or on the other hand preach to the converted, I contribute to threads like this. 

Oh, and enjoy my Harley's! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I've banged this drum for a little while now. I've stopped doing it for two reasons. 

1: The growing number of like minded people provides a community of which I can be a part. I'm not an outsider any more. 

2: The folk who've invested their hard earned in expensive instruments, quite understandably, don't want to hear it. Why would they?

So rather than, on the one hand, pi§§ people off, or on the other hand preach to the converted, I contribute to threads like this. 

Oh, and enjoy my Harley's! 

This ☝️

Trying to justify getting a B stock MIM player series jazz for £599 over a Squier contemporary active jazz for £250. Can't do it😑

• Like 1