Why become a member? ×

I love cheap basses!

Pappabass

3 hours ago, Andermtc said:

I have one as well. It is heavy. Played okay out the box, but I did need to use copper tape to sort out some interference buzzing.

That really sucks when you have to work on a new  bass. I know it hurts less when it costs less but that's not the point. 

I have been lucky with almost all of the HBs I've had. I shoved a new pick up in one just to see what improvements it might make, but ham fisted as I am it now buzzes like a fridge. 

7 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I'd suggest you use a more authoritative measuring device.

I have never weighed mine but I have many many basses to compare and I thought this one was actually a nice weight. Lighter than many (an old HB jazz I have is pretty lumpy) but not remarkably so. 

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

I'd suggest you use a more authoritative measuring device.

Let me preface my heavy comment vs the fact that unlike a lot of others on here, I own 3 basses, and have only ever owned 3 basses so don't have a huge list of basses to compare to.

So dug out some more accurate scales, the HB is 4.41kg (9.7lbs)

Using the same scales Hofner is 2.46kg (5.4lbs) and Betsy is 4,12kg (9lbs).

As I have only been playing since April, and the Betsy only arrived 6 days ago my comparison to the HB is the Hofner which I guess you would say is light.

As I said though whilst I thought it was heavy I still think its a good bass and its probably the one I have played most since it was delivered, especially sally as I don't think the compactness of the Hofner helped me as a beginner, although the Betsy has taken over this week.

(The bathroom scales were actually the same, they just rounded up or down)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_mb_4_sbk_deluxe_series.htm?o=2&search=1605460386

these are the best looking faux stingrays I’ve seen for this price . I wonder what they’re like 🧐

I've got the 'ordinary' one with the two active pups and it's splendid. I'll let you know what the gorgeous matt black one is like as soon as it arrives

• Like 2

It is a winner. Straight out the box, no fettling, plays beautifully, sounds fresh and bright, or throaty depending on how you wind your knobs. 

Don't know what the two volume controls are all about as there's only one pick up but it all works very well. 

15 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

It's a HB, it'll be relatively heavy.

Not to my poor weak frame. The last two HBs I've bought are a very nice weight. 

Oh damn, I missed the gag didn't I? Sorry 

Edited by stewblack
I'm an idiot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

...Help! 

Think of it as being two pickups in one casing. One knob does one bit, t'other the other. Plug in to the amp, turn both volume knobs down to zero. Play summit (no, s'not loud, I know...). Now turn one knob up to halfway, and play some more. Turn it back down, and do the same with t'other knob. Any difference..? While this second knob is turned up, gradually turn up the first one, so that they're both working. Any difference..? Try it, and any other combination that takes your fancy. :friends:

53 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Think of it as being two pickups in one casing. One knob does one bit, t'other the other. Plug in to the amp, turn both volume knobs down to zero. Play summit (no, s'not loud, I know...). Now turn one knob up to halfway, and play some more. Turn it back down, and do the same with t'other knob. Any difference..? While this second knob is turned up, gradually turn up the first one, so that they're both working. Any difference..? Try it, and any other combination that takes your fancy. :friends:

Gotcha! Thank you 

• Thanks 1

I got KiOgon to make me a rotary switch for my bass with a single, passive MM pickup (basically the same as yours @stewblack) that switches through four positions, single bridge coil, both coils parallel, both coils series, single neck coil. So I have volume, tone and the rotary switch.

As @Dad3353 says, think of the pickup as a pair of single coils mounted next to each other. 

• Thanks 1