Why become a member? ×

squire question

nikon F

Don't know, but:
Are you talking about the current line of CVs?
I'm asking as reportedly, quality has gone down somewhat and you should be aware.

From what I gather, the CVs have never closely followed the technical specifications of the originals, so if that's true then it's more of a looks thing.
I know my '50s and '60s Squiers at least looked like the old ones in their colour schemes.

Sorry I don't know more.

31 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Don't know, but:
Are you talking about the current line of CVs?
I'm asking as reportedly, quality has gone down somewhat and you should be aware.

From what I gather, the CVs have never closely followed the technical specifications of the originals, so if that's true then it's more of a looks thing.
I know my '50s and '60s Squiers at least looked like the old ones in their colour schemes.

Sorry I don't know more.

yes was certainly looking at the current line up,,,so quality might be an issue..thanks for that .

5 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

If you're talking about jazz basses, the position of pickups on 60s and 70s basses are slightly different.

yes the jazz. so is that pretty much all the difference is, the position of the pups ? ,so in the real world not that much,,,ok thanks for the replies.,,,,

AFAIK the 60s and 70s CV Precision is identical except for maple with block inlays on the 70s compared to fake rosewood with dots on the 60s.  I'm not sure if the electrics are identical.  My own 70s CV is a couple of years old and has a hi mass brass bridge and a bridge cover, but these don't seem to feature on the new ones.  I use it in preference to my US made precision and quality is good, except for a dodgy jack socket.

I think they maybe actually got the bridge pickup position right this time round?

out.jpg.a76823e1408eeeaaca1593389532687d.jpg

As for QC... I have one of the current CV 70s Precision and it's really nice, comfortable to play, I really like it a lot and definitely hanging onto it.  I also had one of the current CV 60s Jazz fretless, and the fret markers were working their way out of the neck to the point of choking the strings...  So it seems to vary.

Edited by jrixn1

55 minutes ago, Nicko said:

AFAIK the 60s and 70s CV Precision is identical except for maple with block inlays on the 70s compared to fake rosewood with dots on the 60s.  I'm not sure if the electrics are identical.  My own 70s CV is a couple of years old and has a hi mass brass bridge and a bridge cover, but these don't seem to feature on the new ones.  I use it in preference to my US made precision and quality is good, except for a dodgy jack socket.

Love my 70s CV. It's the same version as yours. Superb with flats and the neck is lovely. 

4 hours ago, nikon F said:

why cant people spell squier ?

More to the point, why can't Americans spell 'Squire'? 🙂

Actually some digging shows that the spelling was originally 'squier' in Middle English (although spellings were not consistent back then) which may be why it ended up being used for some surnames.

11 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I believe your real question has already been answered in this thread. 

yes it has thanks ,,,,,,,   QC does seem to come up now and again ,it almost seems like a lucky dip when buying anything theses days ( and probably all the days that have gone before as well )

thanks again for all the replies .