Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1983 Musicman Stingray

ped

6 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Be interested to hear how the G and L compared with a Ray.

They're both quite different, but both really good. The L2000 cannot sound anything like a Stingray, but a Stingray doesn't sound like a L2000, they complement each other nicely... which is why I kick myself for selling my L2000 😥

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mcnach said:

They're both quite different, but both really good. The L2000 cannot sound anything like a Stingray, but a Stingray doesn't sound like a L2000, they complement each other nicely... which is why I kick myself for selling my L2000 😥

Thanks @mcnach, more like a p bass on steroids vibe from the G and L?

Edited by horrorshowbass

6 minutes ago, gjones said:

Looks like 'Marilyn', Gail Ann Dorsey's Stingray. Same era too.

Hers is an ‘86 I believe. Not sure if it will be a slab body or not. I think she has a white ‘classic’ model now too. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Thanks @mcnach, more like a p bass on steroids vibe from the G and L?

I'd say Jazz on steroids. The neck pickup definitely gets into that Precision-esque territory, and in combination with the bridge pickup you get some sounds that resemble a Jazz, only fatter. But it's got its own thing going on, and with the various switches you can get a very broad range of sounds, really versatile. The passive tone controls are really cool too. 

I should stay away... I'm getting urges to buy another :D

• Like 1

Wow, @ped, I guess I missed it when you first posted this thread (although I knew you had this gorgeous bass from your Jazz, Precision and Musicman thread :) ). And this just makes me even more determined to sort myself another Ray (4-string fretted). That's if I don't find a nice Bongo first!! :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Wow, @ped, I guess I missed it when you first posted this thread (although I knew you had this gorgeous bass from your Jazz, Precision and Musicman thread :) ). And this just makes me even more determined to sort myself another Ray (4-string fretted). That's if I don't find a nice Bongo first!! :D 

It’s fair to say I’ve played this more than anything else recently! I’ll let you know if I see any good ones. What model and colour ore you after mostly? There’s an interesting used one at Bass Direct with a Moses neck which might be worth trying!

24 minutes ago, ped said:

It’s fair to say I’ve played this more than anything else recently! I’ll let you know if I see any good ones. What model and colour ore you after mostly? There’s an interesting used one at Bass Direct with a Moses neck which might be worth trying!

Ah, thanks for the Bass Direct tip. I'm not sure about the Moses neck but I'll certainly take a look. Guess I'm mainly looking for a nice 4-string fretted Stingray to complement my fretless. Maybe in a similar natural finish, or even white, although to be fair the colour/finish is not essential if it's a nice player. Mind you, it'll have to wait a little while as the old jalopy has just started yelling for some attention. It never rains! :) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Ah, thanks for the Bass Direct tip. I'm not sure about the Moses neck but I'll certainly take a look. Guess I'm mainly looking for a nice 4-string fretted Stingray to complement my fretless. Maybe in a similar natural finish, or even white, although to be fair the colour/finish is not essential if it's a nice player. Mind you, it'll have to wait a little while as the old jalopy has just started yelling for some attention. It never rains! :) 

Yeah it’s a bit random and I know some Moses necks have been problematic but if it’s a good one it could be quite cool! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Guys, 

Few Ray experts on here so here goes.

I'm looking at either the short scale passive ray or the hh sub in dropped copper. The colour is awesome. My question is, can the hh do the h ray tone at the bridge? I had a sub before but couldn't get on with resting hand so far back on low E

Hi mate yes apparently so, although I haven’t tried personally. I’m sure it would be more than close enough. The scale length and different electronics are more likely to offer a slightly different vibe but in the same ballpark. I had a passive OLP with graphite neck that was absolutely killer and the electronics in that were as basic as they come. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

Hi mate yes apparently so, although I haven’t tried personally. I’m sure it would be more than close enough. The scale length and different electronics are more likely to offer a slightly different vibe but in the same ballpark. I had a passive OLP with graphite neck that was absolutely killer and the electronics in that were as basic as they come. 

Thanks ped, I'm thinking hh now😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ped said:

Wow the one at bass direct looks the business:

F1.jpg

• Like 2