Why become a member? ×

Bassist Heaven

stewblack

Reading Nile Rogers' autobiography and one memory he shares is of sitting in an audience with Chris Squire on his left, Bernard Edwards on his right and Paul  McCartney on stage. Bassist heaven he called it. 

I doubt any of us can match that, so let's fantasise. Who's sitting next to you and who is on stage? 

Bassist Heaven for me isn't hanging round with other bass players... As it says in Highlander - there can be only one! I realise that others exist but if they're all pedantic misanthropes like me I wouldn't want to spend time with 'em. We'd all be looking down our noses at whoever's on stage and saying:

"he's got the fingering wrong"

"I wouldn't have played that"

"She should be using a pick"

"What a terrible tone"

"They're playing far too many notes"

"Can they only do root and fifth?"

So Bassist Heaven is finding a drummer who is rock-solid, grooves and actually listens to the other players, plus guitar that's tight, right on time and doesn't smear sloppy notes everywhere. And we'd be playing in front of an audience who are knowledgeably and appreciative, who ply me with beer after (and during!) the show. I'd even tolerate some mild inappropriate touching!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hear what your saying Mr Smalls, musos can be gear/technique bores.
But in my (limited) experience of meeting and watching interviews of “famous band” bassists, they tend to be oblivious to the finer details of equipment and theory. It’s often a case of “I just plug this into that and play, my roadie sorts it all out”. So I think you’ll be safe having a night out with your fav players, they’ll more likely be interested in where the bar is than where the bar begins. 😊

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

They say laughter is the best medicine. Just sit me in the front to get the best view of Este Haim's bassface and I could fight off covid and all his chums together

Yep, Este on stage  Chris Squire on my right and Glen Cornick on my left. I could even pass on some tips.

2 hours ago, oldslapper said:

fav players, they’ll more likely be interested in where the bar is than where the bar begins. 😊

In that case, me, Bootsy and Flea watching Larry Graham with Graham Central Station,being supported by Big Tony Fisher and Trouble Funk.

We'd need plenty of Bootsy Brewski as well....

9b1f6273-7211-493b-bae3-fc7b91afef6c_rw_

• Like 3