Why become a member? ×

Bass Combo or Head & Cab?

Ghost Rider

GAS is getting the better of me & I’ve been trying to resist during lockdown. FAIL! 

I have an Ampeg B15 (House use only) BUT, fancy another toy! 
Any recommendations at all, preferably lightweight combo or cab/head set up. I did put a wanted ad up on a local forum to me but nothing really caught my eye. 
Wattage isn’t that important but maybe it would be better to have a few more than not so many. 
I was looking at the TC 208 but the TC 112 combo appears to be better regarding its a full volume combo. The TC 208 would need another cab thus hiking the price up. 
My budget really depends on what’s available. 
Cheers in advance!!! 

I think I'd be quite tempted by that mini SVT stack. Not sure what's it's called but it's the smaller head and 2x10 cab.

Probably a good sound for indoors and a bit quirky too. I've quite fancied one just for the look. Years ago I had the Marshall mini stack - a head and two 1 x 10 cabs. Think it was 30 watts or so. Not a great sound but looked fun.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Browning said:

I think I'd be quite tempted by that mini SVT stack. Not sure what's it's called but it's the smaller head and 2x10 cab.

Probably a good sound for indoors and a bit quirky too. I've quite fancied one just for the look.;

Yeah there’s two of them. The 100 watt head & the 200 watt VR head. Both have 210 cabs, the 100 watt is black & the 200 has silver cloth. 

Nice things but overkill if it’s purely for home rehearsal IMO. Try one of the Fender Rumble combos, the 25 watt would probably be ideal for you. Great sound, not expensive, lighter than a light thing etc.

Generally I’ve gone for small combos for practice use and separate head and cab for stage. Purely on grounds of ease of use, functionality and adaptability.  Doesn’t make sense to me lugging heavy combos around when you can split the load by having separates. I know some of the more recent lightweight combos have challenged this, but for me it’s just as easy to carry a class d amp head and a lightweight cab . (I currently use a GKMB800 and a Barefaced Compact.)

• Like 3

If you want it to look impressive, then the Ampeg Micro VR or CL would be great (the mini stacks, the VR is the 200w version, the CL is the 100w version).

One of the Fender Rumble amps could be a good investment?

Maybe an Ashdown would be a good choice? CTM30?

Maybe even the Hotone Thunder Bass micro head (5w) and a cab?

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skybone said:

If you want it to look impressive, then the Ampeg Micro VR or CL would be great (the mini stacks, the VR is the 200w version, the CL is the 100w version).

One of the Fender Rumble amps could be a good investment?

Maybe an Ashdown would be a good choice? CTM30?

Maybe even the Hotone Thunder Bass micro head (5w) and a cab?

Cheers for the recommendations! 

I do like the look of the ampeg VR 200, not so fussed about a fender to be honest. Ashdown maybe a good option (CTM 15) would probably do it with a 110 or 112 cab. 
I was looking at another Basschaters post regarding the thunder bass when he said he compared them with two much more high end & higher powered amps & he preferred the Hotone  🤷🏻 

I've always wanted an Ampeg Micro-VR stack for the house, just to pop it in a corner for 'How far away is that?' fun, although it wouldn't be much use to me for gigging; a bit too short for Richard and too long for D1ck...

I'd also second the Helix Stomp idea, even if just through an existing amp, or even cans; perfect for endless faffing about with tones and effects...and if you get a really good Hysteria patch sorted, let me know; I've been collecting them for a while, and I've still not got a great one... 😕🙂

edit; well, the profanity filter ruined that expression...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Muzz said:

I've always wanted an Ampeg Micro-VR stack for the house, just to pop it in a corner for 'How far away is that?' fun, although it wouldn't be much use to me for gigging; a bit too short for Richard and too long for D1ck...

I’m the same - one of those in the corner would make my “music room*” look much bigger than it is.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I wonder if they do “that” sound as a proper Ampeg should?

*okay, the conservatory

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Just been looking around & seen one of these. 
Any thoughts? They were around £400 when they came out so £177 delivered & new appears to be a good deal.

I got one of these a week or so ago and I'm very impressed.

The EQ is nice-sounding, and very flexible with the 2-band tweakable mids, it's also very quiet (no fan and very low background noise).

Only house use so far, but it's a nice little unit.

The only downside, as Mr. Bass-Lessons says, is that the buttons on the the front feel a bit cheap, but it makes up for that with the lovely sound.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ahpook said:

I got one of these a week or so ago and I'm very impressed.

The EQ is nice-sounding, and very flexible with the 2-band tweakable mids, it's also very quiet (no fan and very low background noise).

Only house use so far, but it's a nice little unit.

The only downside, as Mr. Bass-Lessons says, is that the buttons on the the front feel a bit cheap, but it makes up for that with the lovely sound.

I’m tempted by the 500 watt head for the sake of an extra 60 quid. Did you get the 226 or 501 head? Also what cab do you run with it? 
Cheers! 

19 minutes ago, TomasFlats said:

I’m the same - one of those in the corner would make my “music room*” look much bigger than it is.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I wonder if they do “that” sound as a proper Ampeg should?

*okay, the conservatory

The ampeg VR Mini rig looks awesome. But it’s about £600 plus! 

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I’m tempted by the 500 watt head for the sake of an extra 60 quid. Did you get the 226 or 501 head? Also what cab do you run with it? 
Cheers! 

I got the 226 - I've been on a fanless quest for a while, so it ticked my boxes very well.

I run it through an SWR 2x12.

• Like 1